Anyone know what ports/IPs to send Microsoft Teams through SpeedFusion?

I’m using a Balance 305 and I want to split tunnel to send all Microsoft Teams traffic through FusionHub so I can do WAN smoothing as our primary WAN drops packets all the time.

I found this guide here Prepare your organization's network for Teams - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Learn which seemed helpful, as it says IP addresses 13.107.64.0/18, 52.112.0.0/14, and 52.120.0.0/14 then UDP ports 3478 through 3481 and lastly Audio 50000-50019, Video 50020-50039, and Screen Sharing 50040-50059 which is shown in the Teams admin centre.

So I set up outbound policy based on the above, and it seemed to work as making calls would clearly show it going over SF through FH. However, there’s 2 issues we have:

1. If a remote user or customer calls us, either via PSTN to our Teams DID, or to Teams directly, it just doesn’t ring for us 95% of the time.

2. If we dial out to another Teams user, it connects, we see and hear them and they hear us, but they do not see our video.

So I posted on the MS Teams reddit and official forums and basically had every single reply telling me never route Teams through a VPN and all this other nonsense as they couldn’t understand why I’m doing this. So thought I’d try here to see if anyone has any experience with this! We have maybe 2-4 dropped packets every 10 minutes on our cable internet and our ISP says there’s no issue but there’s no one else we can use here. It’s impacting Teams calls making them drop or get choppy so I wanted to do WAN smoothing using LTE as WAN2, but I don’t want all our traffic to go over that so was hoping to just break out Teams if possible.

I optimized for Teams recently while fulltime on cell links while working remotely for a month - I found the best way to direct traffic for Teams was to use the UDP ports 3478 - 3481 for outbound policies. I didn’t run into the issues you mentioned though. I did this both with discrete connections as well as through SFC with WAN smoothing and it worked well.

If you’re using any of the RCs of 8.1.1 firmware you can now use DSCP for audio, video, and screen sharing applications which might work better than just using the UDP ports, though my disclaimer is I haven’t done that myself…

2 Likes

Great thanks! So to confirm, you’re saying you only did UDP 3478-3481, no IP addresses or ranges 50,000-50,059 type thing?

Correct - I did originally enter in all of the IP ranges and additional ports, but found that specifying all traffic to UDP ports 3478-3481 worked and was much easier to manage.

1 Like

I have 8.1.1 and when I go to set the UDP it asking for a protocol. Which do I select?

If you put the UDP port range in, you don’t have to specify the protocol (the drop-down list is a shortcut but not a requirement). Of course, please change your algorithm to what’s best for you; I want my Teams connections going through SFC which is why I set it up this way…

Also, if you have 8.1.1 you could use DSCP values instead but those would apply to all VoIP and Video platforms - if you want to just focus on Teams the above will work.

1 Like

I was trying to figure out Teams this past summer. No documentation anywhere online. I even had a buddy try to escalate within Microsoft and they couldn’t answer. I use Teams for video and VoIP on computers and android phone. Do those ports cover both video conferences, voip calls, on both PCs (Team app or Teams website), and mobile phones (Android)?

Yes they do - I’ve used it with computers and iOS and Android devices - I agree; there’s no docs for this - I spend a few weeks working remotely from my RV with my Transit Duo working through the settings that would work with a little networking background and good 'ole trial and error :wink:

I was kinda hoping that both video and audio calls did not go over the same ports. Reason being because I would like stable voip/voice calls that use all my WAN connections (low bandwidth) but I dont want to use that bandwidth on some high cost / low GB limit WANs for video. I suppose a work around is to have separate rules for my phone versus computer, designate my phone using the Teams app as voice only, and use my computer for video. Hmmm

Thanks for your replies @sulakand

I was hoping the Microsoft Office 365 rules covered Teams, but learned recently in a Teams call that it didn’t, I’ll give your suggestion a try.

Please update if you’ve learned anything new in the last 6 months.

-Michele