Antenna's Splitter Poynting for BR1 Pro 5G

Our system consists of:

• BR1 Pro 5G
  • Number 4 Antenna Poynting

For each of the antennas 1 cables come out, then there are 4 cables.
We would like to install 2 splits.
Then for 2 antenna join the cables in the split, which will come out with only one cable.
So we come with 2 cables to the BR1 Pro 5G.
The BR1 Pro 5G has 4 antenna inputs.
We thought of installing 2 more splits that make the 2 cable become 4 cables.

I hope to have been clear.

4 Antenna - 4 cable - 2 SPLT-16 - Then 2 cable - 2 SPLT-16 - Then 4 cable - BR1 Pro 5G

I attach the diagram, someone know if is it possbile?

Thank you so much

No, that isn’t how it works. You must run one cable to each antenna no splitters. 4 Cables.

If you cannot run 4 cables then you can only use 2 antennas, and another post around here tells you which ports (A-C) or (A-B) are the transmitting ports depending on your modem model so you should connect to those.

https://forum.peplink.com/t/Can-I-connect-only-2-antennas-instead-of-4-for-a-5G-modem/618d1205e71adfac4df66245

2 Likes

Thank you so much Paul,
I understand what you mean and thank you for the link.

We can’t add more cables, we can use only 2 cable from antennas to modem.

I attach another diagram with 2 Antennas Poynting 493.

I would like to know if it is better to connect antennas like the new diagram (using split, then connect 4 cables) or connect only the 2 cables without split like your link post (one in Cellular A - one in Cellular B / or one in Cellular A - one in Cellular C - depend from the model).

Thank you so much man.

The solution with the splitters will not gonna work and main reasons are:

1. Splitters reduce signal by at least 3dB (this is a lot and on weak signals this will reduce maximum range significantly).
  2. Using splitters the antenna diversity should not work as the whole idea is to have different Rx paths and by combining signals from different antennas increase the Rx gain.
1 Like

As was pointed out in the 1st reply, if you only have 2 cables, you must only use 2 ports on the MAX… which 2 ports depend on the -GD or -GH suffix.

These are not four separate radios, but one single radio system with two antenna drivers, and four receivers that all need to work in concert to achieve 4x4 MIMO. .

This link has a not too technical explnation of MIMO.

https://morse.colorado.edu/~tlen5510/text/classwebch9.html

The key item is that each transmitter set in the arrary must be spacially seperated from their peers. Combining A & B to the same antenna gives zero spacial seperation and therefore a 4x4 mimo is reduced to 2x2 at the start. At best all the splitter inserts is loss of signal… at worst it adds interference and confuses the algorithms that expect separation and isolation.

1 Like

Thank you so much really.

If I wanted to do some tests in the laboratory, which instrument would you recommend me to understand the strength and quality of the signal with the various connection combinations?

The graph under Wan Quality for RSRP and SINR are your only active quality metrics of a cellular link.

You can prove to yourself that you had 4x4 mimo or 2x2 mimo by doing speed tests. Switching from 4 antennas… to 2 antennas to 1 antenna (port A)… should show diminishing average throughput in a clear way given that other conditions are stable.

I could see this clearly with a CAT4 modem, if you removed the ALT antenna connection then the downloads went to just about 50% of the two antenna system.

All of the items that are negotiated behind the scenes, MIMO, QAM, Carrier Aggregation are up to the cell tower and how the cell provider is willing to give you services. The chipsets talk, and negotiate what they can handle and they continuously attempt to squeeze the most ot our the channels given the interference and environment.

The only other tool we had with early LTE was to disable bands that we had determined were being selected on simple criteria, where another band that had worse SINR would provide better QAM, or noise floor.

1 Like

This information from WAN Quality is so so interesting.

But do you know a dedicated device that analyzes quality, signal strength, etc.?
Could I use a spectrometer?