Aggregating Low quality and high quality broadband connections

Hello everyone,

I am running a Peplink Balance 580.

We are aggregating 5 internet connections:

1. Satellite 10 mbps UL/DL

and 4 x BELL DSL Lines that basically combine to give us 20mbps DL and 1 Mbps UL speed. One or two of these lines drop out consistently.

I have noticed that sometimes by disabling the DSL Lines, we get a better connection speed than having them.

I understand that the best answer is to upgrade to one better connection, however, due to city restrictions - a fiber optic connection cannot be installed until 2020 (construction moratorium is in effect). Thus we are stuck with what we have…

What are some potential reasons that by aggregating the 4 DSL lines in with the faster connection it actually results in a slower speed. Just some further notes:

1. I have tested when I am both the only user and with multi-users - same result.
  2. The result sometimes is improved by the DSL lines, but is seems I can never get the full speed from my connection when connect through the PEPLINK (even as the only active device). If I connect directly to our 10/10 connection, I get the 10/10 speeds.

Thanks!
Brian

Hi @B_Mun,

If I understand correctly, your SpeedFusion bonding tunnel currently has 4 DSL lines and 1 satelline line.
A satellite connection has too high latency to aggregate them with DSL lines.
Because of the high latency on the satellite connection, the whole SpeedFusion VPN tunnel slows down.

Satellite connections should only be aggregated with other satellite connections, not with landlines or cellular connections.
This will never give you good results.
You can combine landlines with cellular connections however, we do that on a regular basis.

1 Like

Hi Brian. When you say “aggregating” – do you mean you are using Speed Fusion or are using a load balancing scheme without Speed Fusion? (Not to be trivial, but makes a difference as to the answer.)

1 Like

Hello Rick,

Thank you for your question. My apologies, we are new to the Peplink. We are talking about using the load balancing scheme without Speed Fusion. We are one site, with one Peplink with 5 connections being treated as one. One is satellite, the other 4 are DSL.

Brian

Hi Joey,

Thank you for your question. My apologies, we are new to the Peplink. We are talking about using the load balancing scheme without Speed Fusion. We are one site, with one Peplink with 5 connections being treated as one. One is satellite, the other 4 are DSL. WE are not using it as a VPN.
Brian