Advanced quality of service

We’ve got a Balance One running pretty well here at the office, but the QoS options aren’t sufficient. Is there a product (peplink or not) that would let me set up the following rules? The rules are presented in precedence order, I think:

• Upstream bandwidth should be capped at 19 Mbps
  • Traffic to and from external host EXHOST_1 should be given lowest priority and even starved if need be. If there is no other traffic, it should be allowed to use all the bandwidth, however.
  • Traffic to external host EXHOST_2 should have the highest priority and even be allowed to starve others.
  • Traffic for such and such ip range should get next priority, but not quite be allowed to starve everyone else.
  • Every other internal ip address should be guaranteed a minimum amount of down/up speed if it does not violate the above rules. Remaining bandwidth should be distributed evenly.

Is that kind of rule set something I could achieve with a smart switch or higher caliber Peplink router? Any suggestions? If you think I should be able to implement those policies with the Balance 305/380/580 products, can you outline the rules/settings you would use to get there?

Thanks,
John

Hi John,

Part of your requirements can be achieve in Balance 305 and above. Please find my anwser below:-

1. Upstream bandwidth should be capped at 19 Mbps
    This can be achive. Network > Bandwidth Control > Individual Bandwidth Limit

2. Traffic to and from external host EXHOST_1 should be given lowest priority and even starved if need be. If there is no other traffic, it should be allowed to use all the bandwidth, however.
    Our Qos only limits bandwidth for internal host (LAN PC).

3. Traffic to external host EXHOST_2 should have the highest priority and even be allowed to starve others.
    Our Qos only limits bandwidth for internal host (LAN PC).

4. Traffic for such and such ip range should get next priority, but not quite be allowed to starve everyone else.
    This can be achieve. You need to assign desired IP range into a pre-defined group (Network > User Groups) then limit bandwidth for that group (Network > Bandwidth Control > Individual Bandwidth Limit).

5. Every other internal ip address should be guaranteed a minimum amount of down/up speed if it does not violate the above rules. Remaining bandwidth should be distributed evenly.
    This can be achieve. Others IP range were pre-defined into a group by default. You just need to assign bandwidth limit to this group accordingly

Hope this help.