Adding destination routing to GPS tracking

I would love to see the ability to add destination routes on the Google map. I use this in my RV, and with your current hardware and software, 95% of the process is already done. It would entail activating a feature already in Google maps that allows entering a starting and ending point of travel. The real time GPS tracking is already in place in my Max BR1 mini. This would also be a hot prospect to HUNDREDS of RV travelers. And yes, I would happily pay to have the feature activated, and pay annually for the service.

2 Likes

Can you expand on this request? Do you want to be able to do route/journey planning on the mapping in IC2?
If so why? Surely doing that using google maps natively installed on a phone or tablet in your RV mounted on your dash is more useful?

1 Like

Sure I can explain. The technology already exists in an android platform, but it is much too small to be useful when traveling. The request would be to allow the process of tracking on a much larger screen, like the 17" laptop monitor that I am currently using. Using Google maps on to simply route a trip is only part of the solution. The goal is to be able to input a starting destination, and and ending destination. Being able to monitor the movement in real time via the GPS on the large screen is much more useful. And since the router uses GPS signal it would eliminate the problem of weak or non-existent cell signal in many areas crossing the US. Google maps already has the ability to set trip starting and ending locations. Where it fails is the GPS ability to show the real time location of the vehicle. If re-routing or change of direction is necessary, the preset map is no longer of use. That is where the BR1 mini comes in. Since it already had the ability track the vehicle and display it on a Google map, the addition of a starting and ending destination is all that is missing to have a fully functioning mapping/tracking software.

1 Like

Oh, one issue I forgot to mention. My RV is 40’ long, and I tow a Jeep behind me. My total length when towing is almost 60’ long. Trusting a small screen GPS is dangerous at best. If I blindly take routes suggested by the GPS, I can encounter streets too narrow to drive down (I am just over 8’ wide) corners impossible to turn at, and over head obstructions too low to fit under. While towing another vehicle it is also impossible to back up. These are just some of the reasons we need a mapping program that allows as much view as possible. And my situation is not unique. A great many RV’s all have the same restrictions.

2 Likes

I get it.

It’s quite a specific use case though… had a play last night to see if there is a workaround. I could get gps from the local device to show live position and tracking in Google Earth - which looked amazing, but couldn’t see a way to do route planning there.

You’ll need to get a bunch of +1’s from the community here to encourage the IC2 team to develop it. Good luck!

1 Like

Yes, this would be specific to RV travel, but it is also specific to long haul cross country trucking. And since the trucking industry is such a monster industry, it is just another form of Fleet Management. From a one truck company, to a 1000 truck company (like Wal Mart) being able to have precise knowledge of a vehicle as it travels across country is invaluable. And since the technology already exists, it doesn’t sound like such a big stretch to incorporate it into the program.

1 Like

SargeW,

Have you considered using the GPS Forwarding feature? There is a protocol that can be installed on your laptop that will allow it to receive the GPS signal via your IP connection, essentially creating a virtual GPS for your laptop. You would then use maps.google.com from a web browser or a standalone software of your choice.

You would use software such as GPS Gate The original GPS signal splitter | GpsGate - GpsGate to act as the driver for your computer to recognize the GPS. We use this software on our Mobile CAD Terminals in our response vehicles to split the GPS for multiple software applications such as MCT, Google Earth, Topo, etc.

There may be similar software for mobile devices such as iPad and Android, but I have not dug in enough yet.

Hi Eric, I had set up the GPS forwarding already and the laptop has google maps on it now. I have not heard of gpsgate before though. So far we can view the google map with the BR1 mini, and use it to see the vehicle position. The missing link has been to be able to set a destination and starting point on google maps. Will the gpsgate software be able to bridge that gap?

Thanks, Marty

1 Like