Activate permanently WAN analysis

Hi,

We have become quite heavy users of the WAN analysis functionality, it gives better insights than SF tests. But for some reason it has been coded to stop whenever we change the page of the server device or after a timeout.

As we use reference Fusionhub, it would be much much more convenient to be able to permanently activate this WAN analysis server mode.

Thanks !

that some reason is because of security, you know this tool is designed for troubleshooting and doesn’t have things like pass code to protect who can use it for performance analysis, if the server is left enabled unintentionally anyone can drain a lot of bandwidth off the server, that’s why we added a timer to auto shutdown if it’s not being used.

The timer to shutdown server is 1 hour by default, but it will be extended if you keep your browser stay on the WAN Analysis server page. Do you think this is enough for you? I think this should be good enough for most cases, just start the WAN Analysis server, and don’t touch that browser tab (remember to keep it in a separated window and remain in foreground to prevent from Chrome Tab Freezing) then it will keep extending the timeout and server won’t be stopped.

Steve,

Yes I was expecting this to be for security reasons and I understand.
Anyway to add this to the device API ? That way we can trigger tests automatically from our mgmt tool.

If you just want to keepalive WAN Analysis server using API call, try “cmd.wanAnalysis.server”, however this is not published in the official document so things may change in the future, but it should work (tested on firmware 8.1.2 / 8.1.3) and give you a response like:

{
  "stat": "ok",
  "response": {
    "status": "running",
    "controlPort": 6000
  }
}

Feel free to check the details in your browser’s developer tools.

1 Like

I’ll need the parameters to start it. This is simply a keep-alive. But the call works:

{
“stat”: “ok”,
“response”: {
“status”: “stopped”,
“controlPort”: 6000
}
}

Try this:

start: func=cmd.wanAnalysis.server&action=start
stop: func=cmd.wanAnalysis.server&action=stop

1 Like

Can we maybe add the ability to start the server from the device tools section via ic2?

Yes, we will implement it in the next InControl release.

1 Like

Thanks Michael!

yea thanks @Jonathan_Pitts.

Some curl examples here:

# Start server
curl -v 'https://<your_router_ip>/api/cmd.wanAnalysis.server' \
-H 'X-Requested-With: XMLHttpRequest' \
-H 'Cookie: bauth=<your_bauth>' \
--data-raw 'action=start' \
--insecure

# Keepalive server
--insecure

# Stop server
--data-raw 'action=stop' \
--insecure

FYI Don’t use Steve’s Cookie, you need to create and store your own first with a login. :slight_smile:

oh, yea, I’m expecting people using API know what is bauth because this is documented, let me update that to avoid confusion.

Also let me paste the doc here for reference:

Authentication - with Admin User account
As in Web Admin Access, Admin User account can access the API with the user name and password. After successfully login, the session will be authorized for subsequent access to the allowed APIs.
The session id is returned from cookie named “bauth” under Secure HTTP access.

1 Like

Ok ok so everyone is sniffing the API calls from the web admin page :smiley:

Thanks all for the help