Accessing Node-RED port behind Surf on the Go on my boat

Greetings,
I am developing a “for my use only” vessel monitoring system using Raspberry Pi, several ESP32 processors and the Node-RED environment which sits at port 1880 on the Rasp Pi. I have a Pepwave Surf on the Go (SOG) to supply a local networking for all the boat devices and then attach the SOG to the local marina network to gain internet access.

All that works fine and I can access the node-RED server when I am logged onto the SOG’s local network. The beauty of the SOG is the local network remains the same so I just need to login onto the SOG and change to the marina’s SSID.

However, the reason for creating the vessel monitoring system is to be able to access the Node-RED server from anywhere in the world via the internet. My question is, how do I get to the boat’s local network via the internet thru the marina’s SSID: Marina Router >>SOG>> local network?

I have DynDNS service for my home computers and can add a host for the SOG and use port forwarding but don’t believe that will work through the marina network as I would have to port forward thru their router AND the SOG. To further complicate, the “marina” changes as we move about so ideally.

Open to other suggestions to get through to my boat’s local network.

Thanks!

Hi - welcome to the forum!
One way or another you need to get a VPN in/out of the boat network. Your SOTG should support PepVPN so potentially you could host a Fusionhub Solo in vultr for $5/month and port forward from that to the LAN IP of your node red environment.

Or what’s the node-red server running on? You could just install a VPN client on that and get it to dial out to a hosted VPN server / firewall.

Thanks for the quick reply Martin. The Node-RED server is running on a Raspberry Pi.

Two options then.
Option 1 - A free Fusionhub Solo license hosted in the cloud (eg vultr as a virtual machine) , Pepvpn from your SOTG to the Fusionhub and port forwarding from the public IP of the Fusionhub to the node red port. BUT if you do this, make sure you secure node red with a login.
https://peplink.ninja/2020/05/02/how-to-setup-peplink-fusionhub-on-vultr-com/

Option 2 - A ubuntu VM in the cloud running tinc VPN. TINC VPN on your raspberry PI and TINC VPN running on your laptop when you are travelling. Using tinc to access a home server – Jordan Crawford

Awesome! I will start digging in to your suggestions. Thank you!

One other question Martin. Is there a replacement product to the SOTG? I believe I saw it was discontinued.

It is a pretty old device… I would suggest the BR1 Classic as the entry level device for what you are looking to do. https://www.peplink.com/products/max-single-cellular-br1-router/

Although it is a step up in price its a different beast altogether compared to the SOTG.

Thx again Martin