Access point question on operating mode

Compare and contrast Router Mode and Bridge Mode for an AP.
What is a typical use case for each?

I ask because I am configuring a new AC One mini and I’m not sure which way to go.
Thanks.

If you have a router managing your internet traffic, you will want to use bridge mode.

routers are gateways between two networks. Bridges allow you to connect to an existing network. That is a huge oversimplification, but kind of sums it up.

in a nutshell, bridge mode allows you to use your existing LAN, DHCP, gateway, etc.

1 Like

My understanding is that for an AP, bridge mode is normal. So why does Peplink have a router mode in their APs? Is it to bring Peplink goodness to a consumer router or an ISP supplied gateway?

by Having the option, you can have two separate physical lans - one for wired and one for wireless.

this would be a way to segment your LAN, but typically folks use a VLAN to provide this segmentation between wired and wireless devices.

I am sure that there are other use cases where router mode would be the solution.

personally, I have only ever used bridge mode; but maybe someone can chime in to expand on this feature for us.