802.1p Class of Service

Hello

I want to open a small (but really usefull) feature : the ability for the Peplink router’s Ethernet WAN to tag the 802.1p field. I mean the CoS tag field.
We just opened an ethernet VPLS based collect with a major carrier and I want to use Peplink device directly as CPE on those type of links. To do so, I need to tag the VLAN ID (this I can do now) and also I need to tag the 802.1p field.
Do you think this can be done in a close future ?

Thanks.

6 Likes

It is possible for Peplink routers to recognize and prioritize 802.1p tags by configuring a custom QOS application rule with Scope/Protocol set to DSCP.

2 Likes

Hello Ron and thanks for your answer. I am aware of this DSCP handling but this is not what I need to do here.
What I need to acheive is that all packet leaving a WAN interface must be taggued with 802.1p COS = 2.
I think this cannot be acheived without a small implementation on the WAN side config part.

Hello Ron,
Any updates on this case ?
We started to deploy some fibers and SDSLs using this new collect and it’s working pretty well. Unfortunatelly, we must insert another CPE between the link and the Peplink just to tag this 801.p value…
Let me know your thought in terms of feasability and roadmap for this small feature that could really help our business.
Cheers,
Olivier

This is a good feature request posted in the correct category. Just checking to see if our current DSCP handling would help. Engineering will review this request and others may also need this feature and chime in.

2 Likes

Something like this should be perfect and simple for us :

2 Likes

Hello Ron.
Any update on this feature request ? We are currently rolling out our fiber and copper access massivly but we still need to use another CPE just to tag this 802.1p…
Thanks

1 Like

Hello,

Any new on this?

Kr,

1 Like

I will check with Engineering to see where this is at on the roadmap.

2 Likes

Engineering is considering the feature request for IEEE 802.1p CoS value support for a VLAN tagged WAN interface. Your feedback helps us to understand this requirement and it looks like it is possible, however we do not have an ETA yet.

5 Likes

Hello, is there any advance on this subject?

I have bought a SOHO mk3 for home usage, I believe this equipment has a lot of potential for people like me looking for a secure router for home, but the lack of possibility to specify VLAN Priority setting for PPPoE conections implies that it is not possible to connect to the ONTs provided by most ISPs or configure the provided router in bridge mode in Europe, most of new installations of FTTH require the IEEE 802.1Q protocol.

Do you have any expect time to implement this protocol? As I have commented I see that the SOHO has a good potential for residential applications but it is really a drawback this lack.

Kind regards

Hi Peplink Team,

Any update regarding this feature?

Thanks!!

I’ve got some feedback from the Engineering team.

To have 802.1p CoS on the WAN, they first have to finish multi-WAN support using VLANs. Once they have this, it will be possible to implement the feature request.

So no ETA yet, but we are going there.

3 Likes

:heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Great, thank you!!

Ron,

Any temporary firmware we can use in the meantime?

1 Like

Hi folks. I’m happy to hear that multi-WAN support using VLANs is coming and with it priorities. This is a feature very prevalent in Netgear routers. In many European countries, telecom companies use VLANs to split traffic for IPTV, voice and internet and without using multi-WAN support we can’t use Peplink routers.

I would love if support for this feature comes in the next firmware version. The purchase of some Peplink routers depend on it. Thanks for your work and looking forward to some more news.

Is there any update on this feature request?

Hi,

Does this feature request made it to production?
I need to tag all outgoing packets with 802.1p fields

Not yet, lots of expection in France for it.

We have good hopes with the 8.3 evolutions and it is on their todo list but it is really busy right now for the dev team. @WeiMing