802.11ax on the roadmap?

Hi there,

I was wondering when 802.11ax Wi-Fi standard will be implemented as this is a big discussion on the big Wi-Fi brands like Aerohive and ruckus.

I haven’t seen anything about this on the Peplink forum yet, but WPA-3 is mentioned being on the roadmap but no ETA yet. WPA-3 will be mandatory on 802.11ax so this would likely be something to release at the same time.

Does the Peplink team have more information on this regarding the development?

Kind regards.

5 Likes

Hello @Frontier_Netherlands,

The engineers are evaluating the standard. While we do not have any information on when this will be implemented, I’m sure that we will end up adding support for it some time in the future. So the answer is similar for the WPA-3 implementation, it will be added to the roadmap, but we do not have any ETA for it’s arrival.

4 Likes

Is there any progression on this, possible future support, and where to look for information on updates?

It gives me the impression Peplink is way behind and if serious about meeting the needs of enterprises ought to have been involved in the standard development and evaluating it more than a year ago and even before the std was finalized. WPA-3 being out is January 2018 news and at this point and is going to be a must-have for new gear puchases – other notable wireless manufacturers already announced support 6 or more months ago…

1 Like

Can I +2 this request? Numerous requests for 802.11AX Standard will keep us in line with the competition.

2 Likes

Hi Team, can we assume that the long lead time associated with APO-ENT’s and APO-AC-MINI’s has something to do with this feature request for ax? Or is there something else?

Hello Peplink Team,
We are seeing this now as a request here with systems, any news on the evolution of the Peplink/Pepwave range to include 802.11ax compatibility going forward ?
Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Adding support for requesting 802.11ax

1 Like

At SAS we’re also getting asked a lot about Wifi 6/AX now, the standard is supposed to be ratified any day now so an update or timeline on new compliant AX products would be good to have.

5 Likes

I know our engineers are working with some 802.11AX gear but we do not have any timeline yet for a release date.

2 Likes

Hi! I’m also waiting for a Peplink Wi-Fi 6 router to be released before I invest.
Specifically, I’m planning on purchasing a Pepwave Surf SOHO for my SMB.

At this point in time, it doesn’t make sense for me to buy a router which isn’t 802.11ax certified. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi. I’m curious: In your environment what, precisely, do you expect a wi-fi 6 device to do for you that the SOHO Mk3 will not? I’m generally familiar with what “ax” promises but in what way is the present version limited and falls short of your expectations?

Hi @Rick-DC. Actually, there is nothing specifically that I expect a Wi-Fi 6 certified router would do for me in my current environment.

The SOHO MK3 would do just fine and would answer my current needs properly. But my current needs are already met. :grinning: I already have a 802.11ac router I’m happy with.

I think the SOHO MK3 is a better overall product than the router I currently use, in part because it’s properly supported and updated software-wise.

But at this point in time, investing in a new router for me means investing for years to come. So, waiting for a Wi-Fi 6 SOHO MK3 is about future-proofing the investment in my network architecture. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Hi Rick-DC:

Rick, you want a reason why I won’t buy any more SOHO MK3’s until Wi-Fi 6. Well here you go. I was recently doing an event at the Ft Worth Convention Center in which I had to connect a mere 5 devices to my SOHO. I had several SOHO’s in the center but this one was in the stadium. Things were fine right up to when the event started then crash, bang, boom. I lost all devices when the stadium filled up. I had to run and grab a Cradlepoint router to run the 5 devices with because it supported Channel 165 and the SOHO doesn’t. Sure I made it work with out Wi-Fi 6 but I had to do it without a Pepwave product. Is that what you want? Wi-Fi 6 is supposed to help out a lot in these environments and I won’t purchase another router without it. Another reason I want it is the supposed extended battery life for devices. Four of the devices I connect in this situation are I-Pads that are used 12 to 14 hours per day. With Wi-FI 6 I, hopefully, will have to recharge them less or at least have more peace of mind about it.

Great stuff, keep us updated!

Time to U/G my Surf SoHo.

Where’s WiFi6 ??

Any update on Wi-Fi 6 availability?

1 Like

The SOHO MK3 does support channel 165 - although it’s only 20Mhz wide no matter what router you use.

1 Like

Starting to get asked by many clients about the Wireless AX / WiFi 6 standard.

Peplink what does the road map hold. When can we expect access points and routers supporting this standard? 2020 Q3/Q4 or 2021 Q1 or later?

2 Likes

I just started experimenting with a Balance 20X with the new 8.1 firmware beta installed, and in the settings I am seeing 802.11ax claimed as supported.

Is this in fact true?

Was this lurking inside the Balance 20X all along?

Are there any other Pepwave routers with 802.11ax support?

Cheers,
Chris

2 Likes

@Technomadia, the provided screenshot are the settings for WLAN Controller. 802.11ax is in our roadmap. We will make an announcement when it is supported.

Thanks.

3 Likes