802.11ac

Losing my isp-dsl line and having to go to cable modem as isp. Pepwave Surf Solo firmware 6.3.2 –build2158. Cable people say my router must support 802.11AC. I’ve searched the Pepwave MAX and Surf User Manual and see Under WI-FI AP Protocol “802.11b and/or 802.11g client association requests will be accepted. Available options are 802.11ng and 802.11na. By default, 802.11ng” Does this mean that the 50 Mbps cable will not work on my PEPWAVE Surf Solo?

Your 50Mbps cable will work just fine, the router is rated for up to 100Mbps throughput. Thanks.

1 Like

The last thing I need is the Cable Guy saying it my equipment so will I have to change any of the Protocol “802.11b and/or 802.11g client association requests will be accepted. Available options are 802.11ng and 802.11na. By default, 802.11ng" or just plug and play?

802.11ng is the default standard and will allow all devices to connect. You could use 802.11na only if all of your devices will connect on 5GHz.

1 Like

Thanks. The fast and detail response is why I use and recommend PEPWAVE products. You may close this thread.

The Surf SOHO interface is confusing on this. The “ng” option means WiFi N and WiFi G on 2.4ghz. The “na” option means Wifi N and WiFi A on the 5GHz band. No one uses WiFi A.

If your cable company is providing a modem, then WiFi is not relevant to them at all. They don’t know or care what you are doing with your WiFi.

Chances are however that they will provide you a “gateway” device which is a combination router/modem/wifi. If they give you a gateway, the best option is to return it and buy your own cable modem, from their approved list. Or, ask the cable company to dumb down the gateway so it functions simply as a modem. This is usually called “bridge mode”.

1 Like