7.0.3 (7.0.2?) Upgrade Kills Inter-LAN Access

I finally got around to upgrading my Surf SOHO MK3 from 7.0.1 to 7.0.3 build 1260.

I later started noticing that devices on my network were not seeing each other as normal. After some testing with network tools on various devices and the router itself, I found that wired devices could see each other and wireless devices could not see any other. All had Internet access, but had none or limited intranet access. Even the ping tool on the router itself was unable to reach a computer connected wirelessly.

I also found that in InControl2, the SSID Settings for my regular, untagged wifi had Layer 2 Isolation checked unexpectedly. I am not sure how or when that got checked because it was intentionally off before. I don’t know the status of it just before and after the firmware upgrade.

I unchecked Layer 2 Isolation and then rebooted the router, but still had the problem until I reverted to 7.0.1. Then instantly everything was talking to each other again.

Why? Was there a feature change after 7.0.1 that is causing a conflict? I haven’t any other complaints here similar to this.

Set-up:
Untagged LAN: VLAN: none; [√] Inter-VLAN routing
Reg SSID: VLAN: none; Layer 2 Isolation (once corrected)
IOT LAN: VLAN: 2; Inter-VLAN routing
IOT LAN: VLAN: 2; [√] Inter-VLAN routing

Also interesting: After rebooting from the Layer 2 Isolation correction, my iPhone gave me a notification from the Peplink Router Utility app noting that the router was back online. But when I opened the app, it first showed the router as offline then gave me a confusing message about an unsupported firmware version. Note that 7.0.3 was installed at the time of the screenshot.

Something is crossed up in 7.0.2 or 7.0.3.

It doesn’t sound like the firmware issue.

Please open a support ticket for Support Team to further investigate. Please include a diagnostic report when you submit the case.

As for the RU issue, I am using Router Utility 1.4.7 (38) on iPhone and able to see the Surf SOHO MK3 with firmware 7.0.1 and 7.0.3.

1 Like