40G antenna with both cellular and wifi wan

Is it safe to use the 40G antenna for 2x cellular and 2x wifi wan? Which leads would you want to connect for each? Thanks

Also, what about using a 20G and one element for cellular and one for dual-band WiFi, is that OK?

Hello,

yes, you can use 40G or 20G antennas for Wi-Fi and Cellular simultaneously. There is no difference which antenna RF connectors will connected to Wi-Fi or Cellular. All antenna elements are almost identical with slight variation.

Let us know if this helps or you will have any further questions.

1 Like

Thank you.

Good day. Hoping you could help me. I am a new owner of the Max BR1 pro 5g pep wave router and it is installed in a yacht. I purchased the 40G maritime antenna. A professional installer completed the project and the cellular portion works great with 4x cellular wires connected the router and 1x gps wires connected to the router. I want to do WiFi as Wan in the harbor AND use the 40G maritime antenna. How would you connect the wires to the router unit. Currently the WiFi SMA connections have the short antennas connected. Can you help?

Hi Todd,

for Wi-Fi WAN I would use a separate antenna (either MR-20G or MB-02). I would not advice using MR-40G antenna for both (4x Cellular + 2x Wi-Fi) at the same time.

1 Like

You will want a separate access point for your internal network WiFi LAN.

Hello Everyone,
The Cellular labelled connections on the Mobility antenna leads have SMA connectors (with a Pin). Wi-Fi with most connectors uses Reverse Polarity SMA connectors (RP-SMA) (missing the Pin); you will need a suitable SMA to RP-SMA adaptor to use the Cellular antennas on a Wi-Fi connection.

Alternatives to using an adaptor:

• Pepwave Mobility 221 Antenna (2 x Cellular, 2 x Wi-Fi, 1 x GPS)
  • Pepwave Mobility 02 Antenna (0 x Cellular, 2 x Wi-Fi)
  • Pepwave Mobility 421 Antenna (4 x Cellular, 2 x Wi-Fi, 1 x GPS)

If moving the Wi-Fi from indoors to outdoors to use with Wi-Fi WAN, adding in another dedicated Pepwave WAP indoors is advisable.

Not all cellular antennas are suitable for Wi-Fi; check the manufacturer’s antenna specifications.

Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

1 Like

We have a MR 40G rooftop mounted with 15’ Peplink extension cables to our Balance 20X.

configured with (1) LTE AT&T card and marina WiFi

oddly we have better performance (up and down speeds) with the (4) paddle antennas versus the MR 40G (4) cables connected.

is there possibly an incorrect setting, failed antenna, too much loss with 15’ extensions?

Thank you for the response.

We are using LTE so we are only using two Antennas (Sim Card At&T) to the 40G attached to the front of the Balance 20X and two antennas on the back of the Balance 20x for Wifi (Marina).

Does that change your opinion?

Hi Richard,

hard to say why you get worse test results. Below are few thoughts to share.

Cables add attenuation and degrade the signal, but if the antenna is placed on the roof top, while paddle antennas are inside, then it should compensate cable loss.

Things I would do is to check the SMA cables are not loose. When the SMA connectors get loose, the attenuation rises exponencially.

Next, small advice, when we carry on testing we check what bands are used when modem connects to LTE network. Also it is possible to check the cellular tower ID. This is important as then you can compare apples to apples.

If MB-40G was used for Wi-Fi, then I suppose you have used used adapters in between as the you would need to convert from SMA to RP-SMA. Is that correct? BTW this has nothing to do with Cellular performance.