3rd party monitoring(PRTG) to grab information in L2TP environment for pepwave MAX & peplink balance

Hi Guys,

If there anyone manage to grab information using L2TP environment. Basically a lit confused here. For normal environment is it OK.
For L2tp environment, i got 2 ip segment

1. local LAN ip address
  2. Mgmt Ip address.

Once the L2TP established, need to use mgmt ip address to manage the devices. Need some advises here.

thanks,
Ahmad

Do you mean you have L2TP connection to the same subnet of the Peplink/Pepwave unit? So that we want to grab the information from Pep unit over that L2TP tunnel?

Hi Chan,

Yes. I will assume in that environment. Connection as below:

Laptop<-----------------> pepwave1 (remote unit) <----------(L2tp)---------->pepwave2 (central unit)
(PRTG server)

Basically, i will hope to able to monitor the cellular or wan connection traffic using PRTG but so far no luck.At pepwave1 create the inbound trafic (port forward) to the server. I use the mgmt ip address inside the (L2tp setup) as my laptop ip address. Is there anything i miss out or else?

br,
Ahmad

Hi Ahmad,
How would the Peplink and Pepwave routers interfaces IP looks like in your environment? As L2TP (I assume L2TPv3) creates a layer 2 connection between both Peplink and Pepwave devices.

At your environment, how the Laptop (PRTG server) access to the central unit of Peplink/Pepwave device, in terms of the routing path?

If the central site Peplink/Pepwave is IP reachable to the PRTG server, and necessary service port(s) open, it shouldn’t be problem to monitor those WAN interface traffic.

Best regards,
Wei-Ming

Hi Wei Ming,

Please find my response.

How would the Peplink and Pepwave routers interfaces IP looks like in your environment? As L2TP (I assume L2TPv3) creates a layer 2 connection between both Peplink and Pepwave devices.
-when the l2tp established both peplink will be a L2 unmanaged switch. Need to use the management IP so when to login to pepwave box.

At your environment, how the Laptop (PRTG server) access to the central unit of Peplink/Pepwave device, in terms of the routing path?

• create another L2tp link acts as another remote site and laptop connected to the peplink box(yy.yy.yy.1) and set the management IP address for Laptop.Do the inbound traffic to laptop IP address(yy.yy.yy.2) . Right now only test PRTG with L2TP enviroment, i only manage to monitor LAN that is directly connected. No routing at the moment. Still in the midst of testing. Need your advise on this.

Local Lan IP : xx.xx.xx.xx
Mgmt IP : yy.yy.yy.yy

br,
Ahmad

Hi Ahmad,

Do you mean you configure L2TP in PepWave devices?

Hi Liew,

Yes.

Great news that i able to monitor the WAN,Lan,L2tp using same setup using firmware 6.1.2 beta version. Please help me to verify the availability of 6.1.2 GA version.

Hi Ahmad,

Peplink/Pepwave devices do not support L2TP. Are you referring to L2 SpeedFusion?

Anyway glad to hear that it is working now. Tentatively 6.1.2 GA will be available end of July. Please stay tuned.

hi Liew,

yes. L2 speedfusion.

Awesome…

Hi Peplink Team,

Encounter this issue lately from monitoring. When packet through the L2 speedfusion, monitoring detect alarm per attached. Please revert.

br,
Ahmad

Hi Ahmad,

Appreciate if you can open ticket here.

Hi,

Please help to update us on the availability of BR1 6.1.2 GA version.

tq

You can download it right now from our website…