3G USB Dongle via 3rd party device

Looking at a Balance 30 solution for an intended multi-wan solution for home office.
There’ mobile data signal within the house is essentially non-existent because the insulation in the walls is foil-backed. However in the attic, there’s an excellent signal capable of 9Mbits/s on the DL and 2.5Mbits/s on the UL.
I’d like to place the Balance in my server room on the ground floor (where the mobile signal is non-existant), and the dongle in a Raspberry pi in the attic, then connect the pi via the wired LAN (have Rj45 in the attic) to the balance.

Is this configuration supported? Is a dedicated router with USB Dongle support better for the attic?

The config via the Pi will work. It’s just that the stability of the Pi + USB dongle is an unknown to us.

If upmost stability is of concern to you, then you may consider the brand new Balance 30 LTE we launched yesterday. It is a B30 with embedded LTE. Of course, in this case, you need to place the B30 at the attic or you run a long antenna cable from the attic down to the basement.

Hope that helps.

Hey Keith, putting the balance in the attic is not ideal so I’m avoiding that. One thought I had after my original post was not to use a pi, but to use a usb 2.0 over cat5 extender. This would negate the need for a third party computer in the attic. Have you seen any cases where has been used?
This is what I’m looking at:
http://www.lindy.ie/usb-firewire-c4/usb-extension-c222/usb-2-0-cat5-extender-50m-p7307

Hi there,

In the past I tried exactly that kind of USB extender to connect an USB modem to a 3G router (it was not a Peplink device) and the results I got wasn’t what I expected. It always performed better with the USB modem connected directly to the router.

Did you already considered to install a smaller 3G router in the attic (like a Surf On-the-Go from Peplink/Pepwave) and them connect it to one of the WAN of Balance 30 by cable?

Best Regards

Nuno Olivença

Hey nuno,
Was the extender usb 1.1 or 2.0 based?
Thanks for the tip about the smaller router. Might look into that

Hi there,

To be honest, I am not sure about that. Need to check it, but I would need to find it and I don’t know if I still have it.

BR

Nuno

Hi Dawson,

I think the second best solution is already suggested by Nuno. Putting a Surf On-the-Go connected with the USB modem at the attic and run down a cat5 cable to the Balance at the basement is a good solution for you to consider.

Thanks.