Unbreakable Internet - Did not work for me

Hi Peplink Community,
this weekend i did a livestream via my Transit Duo over the speedfusion cloud.

I set up an outbound rule for all data coming from the Streaming Encoder (Laptop) running to the speedfusion tunnel like described in the foto.
WAN Smoothing “NOrmal”
FEC “High”
I used a Telekom Sim (contract) and a O2 Sim (Prepaid)
I saw the Stream in the Tunnel Status and the throughput was as expected both Connections hat 5.5MBit UP.

Both WANs had good signal strength but even though the stream broke at certain times which i did not understand because in the Status it did not show any packet loss but the Encoder told me about 10% and more some times.

(For Those who know OBS : Short before the Start I Set up a Stream Delay inthe extended Setup of OBS to 2 sek then it seemed be be much better but vimeo told me often that the stream was not running smooth.)
What may be my mistake? After the Service ended, i tryed a test stream again, no Frame loss, no Paket loss even if i raised the Bitrate to about 6.5Mbit.
Here some Data:

This is the Export of my test afterwards:

If you miss some more info please ask me to deliver these information.
Thank you very much for your help.
Regards Fabian

Hi @fabian,

Which cloud location you’re connecting to? and what is your OBS streaming destination?

In the meantime can you try again with the following and let us know the result:

• Upgrade to latest firmware 8.1.3
    Firmware 8.1.3 Now in GA
    We have improvements in 8.1.3 for SpeedFusion Cloud Hot Failover timing, not exactly the problem you’re facing now but using latest firmware is always a good idea.

AND

• Disable FEC and set WAN Smoothing to Normal: Since WAN Smoothing with 2 WANs should already take care most of the packet loss, adding FEC has no benefits there and may even introduce some jitter and delay to the video stream.

If you’d like us to check it directly, please open a ticket here and enable Remote Assistance, we can help to investigate further:
https://ticket.peplink.com/ticket/new/public

2 Likes

Dear Steve, i thank you much for your help. SOrry for the late reolay but i am on vacance right now and spend less time in front of my computer :wink:

1.) I Upgraded my Transit
2.) I am alway connecting to Frankfurt because i thought it was the right destination in the sense of DSGVO ??
3.) My Streaming Target has been Vimeo.
4.) I am disabling FEC thanks for this advice i thought “much helps much” :slight_smile:
Whre ca i measure the jitter?

Is that link helpful also spontaniious when i am on site? Because it is always on another place where i stream.

But i will tell here if something improved, when i go online the next time.
Thank you very much. Best regards Fabian

Hi @fabian, yea Frankfurt should be a good choice for you since looks like you’re in Germany according to your screenshots.

I believe it will give a better result by only enabling WAN Smoothing, please let us know your result :+1:t2:

Which link you’re referring to? If you’re referring to Remote Assistance, it can be enabled as long as there is internet connection, this will allow Peplink team to do diagnostics remotely and help you to fine tune the SpeedFusion parameters, but this will be a bit difficult if your device is not always online.

Anyway, we can continue when you have the result next time, if significant packet loss still exist, see if we can arrange a time to check it real time? There can be a lot of possibilities.

Hi Steve, hi Forum
on the 15. of Oktober i had an event in a house with very good DSL Connection. I took my Transit Router and put it with two SIM Cards between my Streaming and technics Netwok and the House INternet (on WAN port) then i set up a WAN Smoothing Config beacause i thought that if the house would have a short break of the INternet i could smoothen this out with the Speed Fusion CLoud.

But the fun is, when the event startet (the Stream was running before with a Still Image and sound in the background) i saw the encoder fight with the connection. So i just put the LTE COnnections in the Dashboard from Priority 1 to disabled. After this i had a perfect connection.

My understanding was, if i use WAN Smoothing the best of all Data is used automatically because of the automatically choosen Bit tht first arrived healthy. But again it did not only not work, it made it worse. Where is my fault in the adjustments or understanding? Could you help me with this please?
Best regards Fabian

The following Screenshots are the Zoomed In WAN Reports for the T-Mobil and O2 LTE Connections like before but zoomed to the moment when i cut them of.

@Martinlangmaid
@dennis.hofheinz
do you have an idea how to solve this? (Post from 3. November) My next Stream is coming up and i really would like to understand what i am doing wrong or if the device is the wrong one for this job. Until now i did never have a good expereience with my router in my livestreaming jobs using Speedfusioncloud. Thank you much for your ideas and time. Best Regards Fabian

You have dynamic weighted bonding enabled at the same time as WAN smoothing.
Generally speaking for reliable video streaming (where reliability is more important than bandwidth cost) I would leave distribution mode as bonding and enable wan smoothing.

If you want to send the upload packets across all three WAN links you will want the Overall Redundancy level set to Medium.

Set the maximum on same link to off.

Test it and tell us what you see.

Dear Martin, thank you so much for your fast response. I put this into the Router and will tell you after i had my stream on the 18.Nov.

Can you explain to me please why i should take bonding instead of dynamic wightied bonding? I understood that dwb is for Streaming with LTE is that correct?

Did you see the graphs? I think the connections on LTE was not that good, but i thought that it should work if i had a break in WAN becauso of the two independent LTE Conntections, but it got worse. HOw did this happen? I just want to understand why i do this or that to get the best out of the Router.

Or is speedfusion cloud the wrong tool for stremaing? Should i better use a SpeedFusionHub (that is much expensive and i am not only streaming, so i decided to use SFC for my first steps.
Best Regards and thank you much.
Fabian

If you want to use the least amount of bandwidth DWB is an active process that closely monitors the WAN links and when a link suffers a high latency event it stops using it until the latency drops.
DWB is excellent and whenever I am using multiple cellular connections I turn it on (along with DS/Cable Optimization which can help when upload bandwidth gets saturated).

If you care most about packet loss and lowest latency WAN smoothing is king. Nothing beats that ‘Rain mode’ idea of duplicating all packets across all WAN links. But there is a significant bandwidth cost of course.

If you have DWB enabled when you are using WAN smoothing, DWB will be trying to manage which WAN links are used for traffic - turning them on and off for upload traffic, whilst the router is also trying to duplicate traffic across all WAN links. Those two activities can conflict.

So I think you had a bad experience because DWB was killing the upload on WANs that WAN smoothing was trying to duplicate packets over, and because your WAN smoothing settings weren’t optimised for the number of WANs you have.

The question of SFC or private FusionHub is a personal one. Personally, I would stand up a free FusionHub Solo license on a $10/month Vultr or upcloud server as then I have full control of it and I know only I’m using it… however lots of people use SFC for video streaming so maybe that’s just me being a bit traditional.

Hi Martin, thank you very much :slight_smile:
This helps a lot.

THis is off topc but could you please give a tip for a DSGVO kcoform Server in Germany where i can host a SF Hub as cheap as you do? Maybe i try this.

I will keep you informed what happended when i tryed it.
Best Regards Fabian

HI,

we don’t have such cheap servers in germany :frowning:

I’ll send you an Email with some other possibilities.

BR
Dennis

1 Like

Vultr and upcloud have frankfurt server hosting available.
Both claim to be Fully GDPR (DSGVO in english) ready/compliant.

1 Like

Hi Fabian,

we use GCP, Azure, Ionos (1&1) and Hetzner.
For Ionos Peplink provided us a special image (raw file) for this provider. After the initial installation you can upgrade to the current firmware release via InControl. We used 1 vcore, 0.5 gig ram and get 400 Mbps throughput for just 5€ a month.
Google, Azure and AWS will see money for all data transfered to the internet. That is why they are more expensive than Ionos or Hetzner that include all traffic.

1 Like

Hey Great thanks for all the suggestiosn. This is a great Forum that really helps! Tanky you to all. I got the adress from Ascend @jfickeis and we are talking about a possible solution right now.
Best regards Fabian

2 Likes

Thanks to all my helpers, with the tips of @MartinLangmaid and some tunnels via @jfickeis speedfusion hub i had my first run with functional WAN Bonding aktive. It just feels so much more controllable than with only shooting data blind into one WAN Connection.
THANKS ! :slight_smile:

1 Like