Speedfusion Engine USB WAN

Hi there,

The SpeedFusion Engine has 1 Ethernet port and 1 USB port. The Ethernet port can be WAN and LAN, and the USB port only LAN.

We have an upcoming use case for the (unreleased) SpeedFusion Engine HW3 which requires the Ethernet port to be used as a LAN port to connect local devices, and a Satcom WAN backup which we would like to connect to the USB port via a USB - Ethernet adapter.

I understand that the SFE at it’s current firmware (8.3.0) does not support USB-Ethernet adpater drivers, as mentioned in USB to LAN adapter for Speedfusion Engine (SFE)

I also know that there are a bunch of Peplink devices which do support these adapters - Can I Use Ethernet Adapters on the USB WAN?

So my request is that the SFE has support added for USB-Ethernet adapter drivers into the next upcoming firmware release for the (unreleased) SpeedFusion Engine HW3 model. I think that the limited port selection of the SFE would benefit greatly from this (seemingly easy to integrate) feature.

Thanks a lot!
Kester

1 Like

Hi Kester,

please check this forum post.

The USB on the SFE has USB Ethernet Adapter inside. Would this work for you ?

Hi Giedrius, thanks for your response.

No, the WAN device which we would want to connect only has an ethernet port option. The forum post that you linked in fact has this same issue, and it also remains unresolved.

We need the following 2 things to be true:

1. The Modem can support an external USB-Ethernet adapter. This would involve including the appropriate drivers in the firmware to support this. This is something which peplink has already done with some devices.
  2. This USB port can also run in WAN mode, right now only LAN is possible.

Both of these things are true for some models - see this forum post. So basically my feature request is to have the features outlined in this forum post also available in the SFE.

This feature would make it much more realistic to have a WAN and LAN connection to the SFE, since the current arrangement makes this unpractical.

Many Thanks,
Kester

@Giedrius

Could the SFE Engine support virtual wan on lan(ethernet port) , maybe that would help @Kester_Broatch

2 Likes

Hi Jonathan,

The SFE does already support virtual WAN on the Ethernet port, but not on the USB port. So when we want to use WAN then we have to use the USB port for LAN - which is an issue if your LAN devices don’t support USB LAN - hence the part 1 of the feature request I noted above.

Now, I should point out that I also requested part 2 above (the WAN on USB) because our electronics team are not super comfortable with having all of our LAN devices rely on a USBC port, they would much prefer a latching Ethernet port (we use the SFE on drones, so very high vibration!) for this. But they are comfortable with having the less critical SATCOM WAN backup to be over USBC as the stakes are lower.

Hopefully this clarifies some things,
Thanks,
Kester

Can you connect a small managed switch to the ethernet port so that you can split the ethernet port and use the lan and the vlan wan?

Hi Jonathan! Sorry about the late reply, I didn’t notice you had replied!

That would be perfect. But is it possible to set this up on the SFE? I’ve never seen a configuration where LAN and WAN are sent on the same port - but interested to learn :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Kester

Send me a pm with your s/n and we can setup some time to work on it.