Share printer across Vlans

So sorry if this is covered elsewhere in the forum, I did look!

I have a Balance One Router on 192.168.1.4
My Windows 10 PC is wired to one port through a managed switch with IP 192.168.1.125 set manually
The PC also has a wireless connection 192.168.2.100 to the SSID which accords with the Printer Vlan 2 - see below

2 Router ports are used for wired connections to 2 AP minis in Bridge Mode, controlled by the Balance One.
The Printer is wirelessly connected to one AP by DHCP and is on Vlan 2 192.168.2.100

Intervlan routing enabled on all SSID wireless networks.

I can print from the PC when the PC is wirelessly connected. But not if disconnected.

Question 1
What do I have to do to be able to print without the wireless PC connection, in other words to print from a PC on Vlan 1, 192.168.1.x to a Printer on Vlan 2 192.168.2.y ?

Question 2
BonJour Problem
The Balance One has Bonjour services set with the Server network as Vlan 2 and clients networks set to ALL
I can print from an Ipad connected to a SSID according to Vlan 2 192.168.2.z.

But not if the Ipad is connected to other SSID on other Vlans ??

To round out your description:
Can you confirm your Advanced->Firewall->Access Rules->Internal Network Firewall Rules configuration is setup to allow any-any routing across LAN networks?

Can you also Confirm, the AP->SSID->Firewall Settings->Firewall Mode is disabled?

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply. I am very new to this forum and thought I had set to receive an email when there was a reply. Notifications are set to “Normal” and “email” so I hope this will work.

“Can you confirm your Advanced->Firewall->Access Rules->Internal Network Firewall Rules configuration is setup to allow any-any routing across LAN networks?” YES

Can you also Confirm, the AP->SSID->Firewall Settings->Firewall Mode is disabled? I THINK SO BUT DONT KNOW FOR SURE. FOR SOME REASON THE AP DOESN’T LET ME LOG IN. I HAVE TO RESET IT THEN LOGIN. PUT THE PASSWORD BACK TO WHAT I WANT. THE BALANCE ONE SETS UP THE AP CONFIGURATION. I CAN LOG IN OK. THEN AFTER A WHILE SUCH AS NOW = I CANT LOG IN AGAIN. I AM SURE ABOUT THE USER NAMES AND PASSWORDS BECAUSE I USE COPY AND PASTE.

Update - this might related to a VPN issue. When the VPN is enabled, the PC could not access the printer which became “offline”. After setting the LAN as a VPN trusted network, the printer worked fine with the VPN enabled. The printer still does not work if it is on a different subnet from the PC.

Update - THE PASSWORD PROBLEM IS SOLVED. WHEN THE BALANCE ONE SETS UP THE AP CONFIGURATION, ONE OF THE SETTINGS IS USER NAME AND PASSWORD.
THIS IS FOUND IN BALANCE ONE “AP” “SETTINGS” “PROFILE” “WEB ADMINISTRATION SETTINGS”

I have to say I am a bit disappointed that in 2 weeks no forum user was able to reply telling me about the password change issue.

jwleslie303
5 Sep 2021
To round out your description:

Can you also Confirm, the AP->SSID->Firewall Settings->Firewall Mode is disabled?
YES IT IS DISABLED

Hello @surfsolo,
The delayed response is mainly due to Peplink recently changing the underlying platform and code the forum runs on. The new platform is a lot less member friendly and takes considerably more effort and time to do previous activities. The new platform still has several navigation issues, along with many features previously available now gone. The community members and partners who used to contribute to this form only have limited time amongst their other business activities and lives. Hence, a lack of response is the new normal for now.
Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello @surfsolo,
There are several guides published in the Knowledge Base are on setting up and using VLANs. Have you worked through these guides?

VLANs are an advanced networking feature that is standard in Peplink|Pepwave routers. Have you reached out to your local Certified Peplink partner that provided you with your device for assistance yet?

Happy to Help,

1 Like

Hi @Midowling,

I completely agree the forum is very non intuitive and lacks features compared to others I use. But hey - there are some great people on here judging by the content I have found. Ohhh— what you are saying is that type of content might not be available for new posts because those people find the forum to be less user friendly. :frowning:

Graham

1 Like

There are several guides published in the Knowledge Base are on setting up and using VLANs. Have you worked through these guides?
https://forum.peplink.com/t/incontrol-2-initial-setup-guide/8483?u=mldowling1
YES I HAVE NOW THANK YOU. THAT ONE IS BASED ON USING IN_CONTROL. I HAVE A SMALL NETWORK WITH ONE BALANCE ONE CONTROLLING THE APs ON ONE AP PROFILE. THE BALANCE ONE IS CONFIGURED AT DEVICE LEVEL USING ON SITE WEB ADMIN.
I HAVE SET UP SEVERAL VLANS WHICH ARE CONFIGURED ACROSS THE NETWORK TO THE APS BY THE BALANCE ONE, NONE OF THESE VALNS SHOW UP ON IN CONTROL WHEN I USE THE “vlan_config” INSTEAD OF “overview”. JUST A SCREEN AS IF I AM SETTING UP A NEW VLAN.

https://forum.peplink.com/t/guide-to-setting-up-vlans-for-printing-with-firewall-isolation/12427?u=mldowling
YES I WORKED THROUGH THIS ONE BEFORE POSTING.

1. IT IS BASED ON USING IN_CONTROL, BUT THATS NOT A BIG DEAL. HOWEVER:-
  2. MY NETWORK PRINTER IS NOT HARD WIRED TO THE BALANCE ONE, AS ABOVE IT IS ON A WIRELESS CONENCTION TO AN AP ON A SPECIFIC VLAN. I’D HAPPILY HARD WIRE IT BUT IT DOESN’T MAKE SENSE IN A BUILDING DATING TO 1883 WITH 13" WALLS THAT HAS VERY HIGH QUALITY MODERN FINISHES AND NO CABLE/VENT DUCTS ETC. IF I ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO, I COULD TRY A PAIR OF NETWORK ADAPTORS THAT RUN ACROSS THE POWER CIRCUIT. BUT I WOULD MUCH RATHER FIND A WAY TO DO THIS USING THE BALANCE ONE THE AP AND I HAVE SOME NETGEAR SMART SWITCHES THAT I AM PRETTY FAMILIAR WITH.
  3. THIS GUIDE DOES NOT SHOW HOW TO SHARE PRINTERS ACROSS DIFFERENT VLANS AS FAR AS I COULD SEE BEFORE POSTING HERE. IT IS ABOUT USING FIREWALLS TO STOP ACCESS.

VLANs are an advanced networking feature that is standard in Peplink|Pepwave routers. Have you reached out to your local Certified Peplink partner that provided you with your device for assistance yet?
I BOUGHT THE BALANCE ONE IN FEB 2020 FOR MY OTHER PROPERTY IN ARIZONA, BUT IT IS NOW IN THE UK WHERE I AM NOW BASED. THE LOCAL PEPLINK PARTNER IS NOT IMPRESSIVE I HAVE FOUND IN THE PAST WHEN SEEKING SUPPORT FOR MY ORIGINAL SURFSOLO. A HIGH HOURLY RATE AND THE DIDN’T SEEM TO KNOW MUCH SPECIFIC TO THE DEVICE IN MY OPINION. I USED TO RUN A VERY SMALL TECH SUPPORT COMPANY SO HAVE VIEWS ON THIS SORT OF THING. I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO USE VLANS ON MY SURF SOLO AND BALANCE ONE UNTIL NOW, BUT SETTING UP THIS WIRELESS NETWORK PRINTER AND TRYING TO SHARE IT ACROSS VLANS HAS DEFEATED ME TO DATE.

Hello Graham (@surfsolo),
Just a bit of form etiquette; typing in all capitals is equivalent to yelling; I’m sure that was not your intention.

One of the things our team likes about InControl2 is that you can set up your system through InControl2. Except for just a few items (like captive portals using social authentication & geoblocking in firewalls), almost everything else can continue without InControl2. You can even remove your device from InControl2 post setup and have it retain all the settings locally that you developed within InControl2, not that in over five years of using InControl2, we have had any customers needing to do that.

Please note: The SOHO is not as feature-rich or equipped as many of the other routers Peplink|Pepwave offers; the suggestions here are based on the more advanced models as we do not have a SOHO to pull details on for you (not sold a SOHO in over four years).

Does your Wireless Printer show up on both the Wi-Fi client list and the routers client lists?
From InControl2

From the Webadmin of a Peplink Balance router

Within your WAP settings, see if you have “Layer 2 Isolation” enabled; if so, disable the option.
The option within the WAP settings from InControl2, in

To find the Layer 2 Isolation settings on the web admin, select the blue (?) at the top right; it will present you the option to show the hidden advanced menu options

We recommend that Layer 2 is best not used for where a small home &/or small office networks. Layer 2 Isolation can be problematic in smaller network environments as the expertise is not readily available. Some of the places to use Layer 2 Isolation is with Public Wi-Fi and corporate/enterprise Wi-Fi, where you do not want devices on the same Wi-Fi talking to each other except through the control of a router.

On your VLANs, ensure that you have "Inter-VLAN routing enabled
From InControl2

From web admin

The next thing to check is your internal Network Firewall Rules; start with no rules, then build it out testing as you go.
InControl2 they will look like this if in default

For the Web admin, they will look like this in default

See how you go with this; if you are still having issues, you may need to raise a support ticket at https://www.peplink.com/support/ and follow the prompts; you can refer your ticket back to this forum post.

FYI we have met experienced Peplink Partners who can comfortably command over $450USD and $400Euros for an hour or part thereof for their team’s expertise time on an ad-hoc basis outside of support agreements. For an hour of my time, our company charges me out currently at an ad-hoc rate per hour or part thereof. If you feel the Peplink Partner you were dealing with was unreasonable based on this, you may want to mention them in a support ticket, but please do not name them here in the forum (poor publicity is still publicity).

Happy to Help,

3 Likes

For some reason I can’t edit my previous post.

Just to say thank you

Graham
PS Here is a link to the other thread I mentioned.
https://forum.peplink.com/t/Balance-One-Network-Printer-on-different-VLAN/61537cf0e806e2b9b502f5b9

1 Like

The printer is now working, shared across VLANs. See the thread in the post above for details.

1 Like