Product FAQ - Balance Series - Balance 20X

Is the Balance 20X suitable for me?

For which applications is the Balance 20X best?

The Balance 20X is a futureproof Gigabit dual WAN router for SOHO, small businesses and branch offices. It has a FlexModule Mini slot that can be expanded to support all kinds of WAN technology. If it’s time to add a second LTE connection, the Balance 20X will be ready to provide the ultimate performance for any home or branch office.

How fast is this device?

The router’s throughput is rated at 1Gbps. See our complete Spec Sheet here.

How many different ways can the B20X connect to the internet?

It can utilize Ethernet, cellular, and USB-WAN inputs. The USB port on the front of the router can be used as a connection point for a USB cellular modem or a USB-Ethernet adapter. You can find the tested compatible modems here, and Ethernet adapters that we’ve tested are discussed here.

How many concurrent connections to the internet can the router make?

The Balance 20X can use 2 x Ethernet (with a PrimeCare subscription) and 1 x cellular WAN concurrently. Multiple WAN connections enable SpeedFusion, which is included in PrimeCare. When two or more WANs are active, users can take advantage of high bandwidth with Bandwidth Bonding or unbreakable connectivity with game-changing technology such as Forward Error Correction and WAN Smoothing. To learn more about SpeedFusion and its amazing technology, click here.

What is included with the Balance 20X?

What’s in the box?

Along with the router, you’ll find 2 x LTE antennas (ACW-813), 1 x GPS antenna (ACW-232), 2 x 2.4/5GHz Wi-Fi antennas (ACW-341), and a wall plug-in power supply (ACW-602).

Is my product covered under warranty?

Yes, all Peplink products come inclusive of a 1-year warranty. Please ensure your device is sales registered to reflect an accurate warranty start and end date (see below for more detail)

How do I sales register my device?

Maintaining an accurate sales register date will ensure your warranty status is counted from the date of sale rather than the date of delivery.
To sales register your device:

1. Visit access.peplink.com
  2. Login to your existing PeplinkID account or create a new login
  3. Once verified and logged in. Select Device> Register Device
  4. Enter details and Save Changes.

Once updated, the corresponding warranty status will automatically be updated.

Can I extend my warranty beyond its coverage period?

Yes, all warranties can be extended on a year-to-year basis (PrimeCare 1 Year | 2 Year | 4 Year). Renewals can be purchased through our local Peplink Certified Partners or directly from Peplink eStore at the time of sale or any time thereafter.

What is PrimeCare?

PrimeCare is a subscription that bundles InControl, Warranty, SpeedFusion license upgrades, and FusionHub licenses into one comprehensive package. Click here to learn more about PrimeCare.

Does the Balance 20X employ Peplink’s SpeedFusion technology or SpeedFusion VPN?

All products are capable of using SpeedFusion VPN. The Balance 20X can use SpeedFusion with an active PrimeCare subscription, which is complimentary for the first year. You an extend PrimeCare beyond the first year for a nominal cost (PrimeCare 1 Year | 2 Year | 4 Year).

Using the Balance 20X

Can the Balance 20X isolate IoT devices from computers used for work?

Yes. This is a very useful feature, as an increasing number of people now work from home. Multiple VLANs can be established, and the admin controls whether traffic is permitted to flow between them. This result can also be accomplished on a “per-port basis.” A partition can be effectively established between various types of devices and users.

I see 5 antenna connectors on the Balance 20X and 5 antennas are supplied. Are all 5 antennas needed?

2 x LTE antennas (ACW-813), 2 x 2.4/5GHz Wi-Fi antennas (ACW-341), and 1 x GPS antenna (ACW-232) are included in the package. We recommend you connect all supplied cellular and Wi-Fi antennas. The GPS antenna is optional and dependent on whether you require the tracking feature.

Why should I use SpeedFusion VPN?

SpeedFusion VPN is a capability built in to the Pepwave Balance 20X. It permits the user to construct a VPN tunnel between Peplink devices. This tunnel may be set up to be unencrypted or even encrypted with AES-256 encryption. For example, if you have a Balance 20X at home and a Peplink Balance series router at work or in a different location, you can establish a connection between the two locations, allowing the flow of resources from one location to the other. (Either a Layer 2 or Layer 3 tunnel may be constructed.)

Is a means for remote access provided?

Yes, users can access the router remotely using either L2TP or OpenVPN.

How do I set up Wi-Fi mesh?

Here’s a detailed video explaining how to do so.

Licenses and Accessories

What if I need more than two SpeedFusion VPNs?

By default, the Balance 20X has the capability for 2 SpeedFusion VPNs. With an active PrimeCare subscription (complimentary for the first year), you can maintain up to 5 SpeedFusion VPN Peers. You can extend PrimeCare beyond the first year for a nominal cost (PrimeCare 1 Year | 2 Year | 4 Year).

Can the Balance 20X be remotely managed?

Yes. The Balance 20X comes with a year’s subscription to PrimeCare, which includes InControl 2. PrimeCare can be extended beyond the first year for a nominal cost (PrimeCare 1 Year | 2 Year | 4 Year).

Can it connect to an OpenVPN server from a commercial VPN provider (ExpressVPN, ProtonVPN, etc.)?

Yes, an optional license (LIC-OPN-WAN) will enable the OpenVPN WAN functionality.

What is the FlexModule Mini slot’s application?

The FlexModule Mini slot allows for an additional LTE WAN when you simply plug in a FlexModule Mini into the Balance 20X. We currently offer three versions of cellular expansion modules [LTE-A Modem (CAT-6) | LTE-A Pro Modem (CAT-12) | LTE-A Pro Modem (CAT-18)] to suit your specific needs. A VDSL Module is also on offer for those who require this technology.

What is the FlexModule Mini’s use case?

It allows for you to utilize an additional WAN, meaning you can integrate your device into more deployments and ensure unbreakable connectivity. The Balance 20X is always ready to fulfill your needs, so when the time comes to add an additional LTE, the FlexModule Mini can provide just that.

Can I connect PrimeCare devices to my existing current FusionHubs?

Yes. PrimeCare devices will not count towards the peer limit of any FusionHub to which it is connected. For example, a FusionHub 20 normally supports up to 20 peers. This feature is particularly useful for connecting numerous sites that require little bandwidth, such as PoS terminals.

Do all of these options become very expensive?

We offer the router at a very reasonable cost and encourage you to add only those options (if any) that are necessary to meet your requirements.

What can I do if I need support?

Does Peplink offer support for this product? What if I have difficulties setting it up?

Peplink Partners are always proud to provide support to their product users, so please reach out to the place of purchase first.
For those who prefer self-service, Peplink has a very active forum. Among the regular forum users are Peplink Partners, Peplink employees, and many knowledgeable users. Generally, people with questions get answers quickly. In the unlikely event of a suspected hardware or firmware issue, you can enter a support ticket directly with Peplink. You will then receive attention from some of our best engineers! Peplink supports its owners like nobody else in the business.

I can’t access the Internet via the Balance 20X. What can I do?

Visit this link (troubleshooting section) for a basic troubleshooting guide. If that doesn’t work, reach out on our forum and the team will get you online.

Can I connect PrimeCare devices to my existing current FusionHubs?

Yes. PrimeCare devices will not count towards the peer limit of any FusionHub to which it is connected to. For example, a FusionHub 20 normally supports up to 20 peers. This feature is particularly useful for connecting numerous sites that require little bandwidth, such as PoS terminals.

What will happen during a firmware update?

During the firmware update, it’s important to remember that you shouldn’t use the router for any web browsing activity as the router itself will be shut down during the update process. Both wired and wireless clients connected to its network will experience a temporary disconnection (which is normal). When the update is complete, the browser window should automatically bring you back to the login page.
If the progress bar is stuck during the firmware update and the amount of time it takes is much longer than suggested, don’t worry, a simple page refresh should fix the issue.
To update the firmware for devices through the Web Admin, visit the following link for detailed steps here.