Peplink SQM - BufferBloat

Some troubleshooting has lead me to believe I am having an issue with BufferBloat on my Balance 710 Router. Tried to find any SQM settings and coming up blank.

Did some searches on this forum and it seems BufferBloat was discussed 2014-2017 but Peplink really did not have any settings to help prevent it.

Peplink | Pepwave - Forum

Now almost 8 years later, does Peplink still not have the abilty to implement SQM and prevent BufferBloat while $50 routers do?

To test on your system:

https://www.bufferbloat.net/

Bufferbloat prevention is a setting within SpeedFusion settings when using Dynamic Weighted Bonding. I haven’t found anywhere else where you can set this specifically. Dynamic Weighted Bonding was added with FW 8.2.0 .

There is DSL/Cable Optimization in QoS->Application which helps when Upload is congested that the Download doesn’t suffer, not sure if this is Bufferbloat related though.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, not everyone uses SpeedFusion

There is an experimental setting in http:///cgi-bin/MANGA/support.cgi

image.png

1 Like

The Mitigate Bufferbloat option is the fq_codel algorithm. It is currently half implemented. Upload bandwidth management to your ISP works. Download from your ISP isn’t operational yet, although rumor has it that Version 9 will fix this issue (too much CPU was being used during the original Mitigate Bufferbloat beta a number of years ago, so that portion was disabled until it could be fixed).

Bufferbloat is worst on asymmetrical lines where upload speeds are much lower than download speeds. Controlling the upload speed does help, so give Mitigate Bufferbloat a try (and hope Version 9 comes out soon and addresses the download issue). We’ll be interested in your experience and your Waveform or DSLreports results. (Mitigate Bufferbloat for upload does improve my Bufferbloat.)

You don’t mention your ISP. FYI, if it is Comcast, they currently use the DOCSIS PIE bufferbloat algorithm when you have a DOCSIS 3.1 modem. In fact, they may use download shaping even if you don’t have a DOCSIS 3.1 modem - I’m not sure. PIE isn’t as good as fq_codel, but it definitely helps the Bufferbloat situation. I don’t know of any other ISP’s which implement DOCSIS 3.1 PIE.

Note: The DSL/Cable Optimization setting in QoS will be ignored when you enable Mitigate Bufferbloat. I believe that the DSL/Cable Optimization setting simply prioritizes acks, but I don’t know if Peplink ever documented exactly what the feature is doing.

2 Likes

Running firmware 8.2.1 build 5372. Enabled bufferbloat option in support.cgi. Numbers reported after applying the change remain the same on a Balancs One. It does not appear the option does anything as of present.

Have you set your Upload and Download Bandwidth? In Network, select your WAN connection to set them.

You measured 4.68 Mbps up, so try setting 5-10% less, perhaps 4.2 Mbps to start with. You should notice your upload speed is less, but your upload latency drops from its current 150ms.

The value you set in Download is currently ignored. I usually set it to 1Gbps. Version 9 will hopefully remedy the Download situation in which case you probably want to start with 32Mbps, about 10% less than your measure speed of 35.4Mbps.

I always make sure DSL Cable optimization is Disabled too although I believe Mitigate Bufferbloat has been fixed to ignore it. Network->QoS Application, DSL cable optimization: Disable

1 Like