MAX BR1 Mini POE - 802.3at

The photo and specs clearly indicate this model supports POE 802.3at. But plugging this port into a POE switch that supports 802.3at does not power up the unit. See below screen shot. What am I missing?

What are you using to power it? POE injector, switch make/model?
Does another device power up with the POE source.
I haven’t tested these mini’s yet, just asking a few questions to check the power source.

1 Like

I am using a Cisco Meraki POE+ compliant switch. I have tested multiple POE endpoints on it so I am comfortable it is operating according to specs.

Previous searches in this forum made reference to the older MAX BR1 Mini model requiring a 12 volt passive injector. That is certainly not an 802.3at type of device. I am beginning to suspect the spec sheet for the HW3 I posted above is a fluke.

It looks like I do have that newer model Max-BR1-MINI-LTE-US-T-PRM here.
I was able to power it up via LAN1 802.3at PoE IN using a ubquiti US-8-60W switch.
If you have tried multiple PoE sources I would open a ticket next.

1 Like

This is very interesting @Jonathan_Pitts . Your model is:
Max-BR1-MINI-LTE-US-T-PRM
my model is:
MAX-BR1-MINI-LTE-US-T-M-PRM

As you can see, I have the “Core” version. There is no separate datasheet for the core version I could find and I was under the impression the only difference was it had no Wi-Fi or GPS. Does your unit have the actual text “802.3at” under LAN1 like it shows in the datasheet? Mine does not (and yes I have a bunch of HW3 Core units and all look and operate the same).

Thanks.

Mine has the text 802.3at under LAN1.
Can you atta g a picture of front/back/bottom of yours , feel free to blu s/

1 Like

I opened a ticket with support to get to the bottom of this. Here are the pictures:

Did your distributor say it would be Poe powered?
It would appear from the pictures the core version doesn’t support it.

1 Like

I never asked as I went with the MAX-BR1-Mini datasheet. I am hoping support can provide the actual datasheet as I do not want any more surprises.

Let me see if I can find a datasheet for you.

1 Like

Per Peplink support this is the final answer:

The BR1 Mini Core should be the same as MAX BR1 Mini HW3 with the following exceptions:

• No Wi-Fi
  • No GPS
  • No PoE IN
  • No ignition sensing

So it is now confirmed this unit has no POE capability.

1 Like

I believe it also has no eSim (SpeedFusion Connect) Sim built-in as well.
For powering it via PoE you could do something like this:
AMZ Poe to 12v barrel

Cradelpoint 12v barrel female to 4 pin male.
https://forum.peplink.com/t/pepwave-4-pin-power-connector-/6320fcd4f36f2e72fe7fe0df/1

By the time you do that it would negate any saving on the core vs standard model, unless you got it because you wanted it more secure without wifi.

I’d strongly recommend peplink to review the core offering to include the PoE input chip as a minimum. I’d also like to start seeing more models that support PoE input including the 20x.
Sometime we need to mount devices up high to get a good cellular signal and being able to do so and only use one or two ethernet cables would be great.

1 Like