Let me try this again

I bought an “open box” Max BR! Mini on Ebay, and when I got into the dashboard, InControl tabs were labeled “stolen”. Just to be sure, I created an InControl account, and I can’t add my device, because it’s already registered to someone else.

So, how do I co about contacting an admin at InControl? There seems to be no contact link in the dashboard, so any contact info would be appreciated. At the very least, I’d like to get this device back to its rightful owner.

“Stolen” is a dead hint that something is wrong.

Return the device immediately through eBay and buy something new from an actual partner, not someone third party because the price was cheaper.

You can try Peplink to direct you to the original company. I have never heard of this situation where they actually will direct someone to the original owning company, but you can try.

Everything you are going through is not normal for any Peplink device, when purchased correctly.

You can send me a PM and I can set you up with a new BR1 if you would like with warranty, and inControl.

1 Like

You may try by contacting Peplink via the contact us link
Contact us

Write in the BR1-mini serial number, they will know whom it belong to.

2 Likes

Since you cannot register the device with IC2, it is not fully functional. If it was sold as “used” without any indication that it was not fully functional then that is sufficient cause to get a refund from the seller/eBay.

My understanding of Peplink policy is that they do not disclose the organization with which the device is registered nor do they de-register the device. THat would be a matter to be settled between you and the registered organization (presumably the (previous) owner of the device).

Good luck.

Z

3 Likes

I as well would contact ebay send them the screenshots of the device that says stolen and ask them what you should do to get a refund.

2 Likes

I just bought another device from Amazon that can’t be added to incontrol2 because it is already registered. I would expect that to happen on used purchase from EBay, not when buying from the Amazon store

Ask the seller to remove from incontrol2 or request a return.

2 Likes

Thank you for providing the information I was seeking . . . I really appreciate it.

1 Like

It seems this is not an uncommon situation. There are also reports of people buying brand-new devices, only to find themselves “blacklisted” because someone clicked the wrong button.

The seller is the official Amazon store.
I contacted support and they sent me a “Request to Remove Device from Peplink Incontrol” document to fill out, and I have to send a pic of the sticker on the device.

We’ll see if that works :slight_smile:

Hello, Greg…
Please… tell us about how your issue finish.
I have a BR1 with the same problem… Registered in name of another person. I call the company, but nobody knows who registered the device or witch eMail was be used for it.
Thank you.

Your tone is not helpful. It turns out this device was stolen form a technician’s work truck, so returning the device “immediately through eBay” would have simply served to put the device back on the black market.

Thanks to another comment in this thread, I was able to reach out to Peplink. They determined the device was indeed stolen, and at the owner’s request, they provided me with an address for the rightful owner of the device (who took delivery of it this morning).

Through this process, I was really impressed with the people at Peplink. From start to finish, they were a pleasure to deal with, and I ended up buying a new device from them. I would definitely recommend buying direct from Peplink in the future.

1 Like

My situation was just a bit different, because when I clicked on the “InControl” link in the dashboard, the tab labels flagged the device as stolen. Unless your device does the same, you might just have a used device with a leftover registration.

My understanding is that Peplink will not remove a prior registration without the approval of the previous owner. If that information is lost (and the device is not stolen), you might simply be unable to register it in your name with InControl .

Well I take offense to your comments, I did not buy something illegally, and the company you claim to have bought the device from would not have sold it over the “black market” after you flagged it as stolen. They are a reputable reseller company, and if you are flagging something, why wouldn’t they have approached the original company the product was surplussed from.

Anything you are buying anything off eBay to save money is not “helpful.” You could have just purchased the a device from a Peplink originally, and saved yourself time, money, and shipping of an old model back to the original buyer.
https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/stolen-property-policy?id=4334&st=3&pos=2&query=Stolen%20property%20policy&intent=bought%20stolen%20item&lucenceai=lucenceai&docId=HELP1214

The fact that you have now had someone that is a not a Peplink employee, but a distributor or reseller track everything down is asinine, and disconcerting. I feel that they have overstepped their boundaries in terms of service.

Why should one entity be able to access records from Peplink to be able to track sales for another entity?

It does not say that a distrubtor/reseller/partner/etc, should be able to have access to this information in any way shape or form… Its not mentioned, but that does not mean it is true…

This is a huge discrepancy and would violate multiple security issues with the companies that I work with. Never have I had a distributor voluntarily given out private information, even despite something be stolen, they would take the device themselves and then return it to the company they sold it to.

FYI this is from another thread, basically referring to this post. If you already were a partner, why didn’t you just buy a BR1 device from Martin instead of posting this and then complaining that you purchased a stolen item, and someone called you out on it…

Very conflicting accounts of the situation. The fact that no one knows who actually owns the equipment anymore because of this situation is humorous.

I hope you atleast got your money back…

Tagging Peplink @WeiMing, @sitloongs to clarify, whether or not a partner/distributor/reseller/etc., should be able to gain access private sales records of devices, and be able to therefore contact the company to figure out the device availability.

Hi Cable17,

We appreciate the concern but I believe there might have been some miscommunication here. Greg reached out to us about the stolen device and I followed up with him on this. The device was purchased on eBay and I got in touch with the original owner on returning their device. It was newly purchased and they were very happy to have it back. We also forwarded the eBay seller’s information to the authorities in hopes of catching them. No other partner or distributor was involved in the process and all communication was handled by me.

5 Likes

Nice work!