Issues with Speed Test via FusionHub VM

I am trying to use WAN Analysis on my Peplink MAX Transit Duo Pro (MAX-TST-A181) so that I can test the speed of each internet connection (Starlink, cellular x2, and WiFi WAN x2). I have configured a VM on Google Cloud using FusionHub Solo and I have opened TCP ports 6000 - 6008 along with all of the other firewall settings (including allowing HTTP and HTTPS connections) as per this tutorial.

Here is the client set-up:

Here is the virtual machine set-up:

When I run the speed test on the client, I get this error:

Error: Stream 1: Cannot connect to remote server at port 6001

For reference, the Max Transit is running firmware 8.3.0 build 5229 and the FusionHub is running 8.0.1 build 1644. Do I need to update the firmware on the FusionHub? I tried via System > Firmware, but it did not do the upgrade. Is there some other way to update it?

And, if it isn’t the firmware, what am I doing wrong?

Does the google cloud vm have a public routable ip address ?
As a test can you reach the web interface of the fusionhub if you opened to port?
You can manually upload a firmware image, or use ic2 to assign a firmware policy to the fusionhub and put it on the same 8.3 firmware.

Yes, I can reach the admin interface of the Fusion Hub via HTTP. Is that what you meant (keep in mind that I am not an IT professional)?

Thanks for the idea to upload a firmware image. I did it, but I still have the same issue. :frowning:

Yes just trying to understand if the public IP was routing.
To can find the firmware and user manuals here:

Thanks. I downloaded and installed the firmware on the FusionHub. I am still getting the same error.

@David_Bernstein,

I’m not sure what you have going on with your google cloud setup but you can easily perform these tests using the Peplink SFC Connect feature instead. I use it all the time and it is fast to setup and works great.

First make sure all WAN’s are in priority 1 on the dashboard:

Then hit up the SpeedFusion Connect tab and choose a location. Auto works fine or you can manually select the closest location. After the tunnel is established head over to Status > SpeedFusion:

Then click on the right arrow tab:

And now click on show remote connections and you will see individual blue on&off switches in front of each WAN connection:

Now you can temporarily disable individual WAN’s and do a speedtest on each one as well as any combination of WAN’s to see the bonding performance. These switches do not actually take down the WAN, it is only for the purpose of testing.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Thank you, Tim! This is exactly what I was looking for. I travel with the router and when I get to a new location I need to see which of my internet connections I want to put into Priority 1. Your solution provides the exact functionality I was looking for, so thank you very much!

Now I can take my time figuring out what the heck is up with the Fusion Hub on Google… :wink:

NP David - glad it helped!