Introducing Firmware 8.2.0!

I am running 8.2.0 on my SOHO Mk3 no issues, CPU load around 30%, upgraded from 8.1.3.

The only way to roll back 8.2.0 is to go to the system > reboot > then choose the older version as the boot target. If you have updated to more than one version of 8.2.0 (beta 1, 2, rc, 1,2 etc) then you won’t really have a way to go back at this point.

1 Like

has nothing about DoH.

Working on this now. Will ping you once ready.

2 Likes

im running 8.2 and the starlink access seems to be working fine still!

Tried upgrading the Mini-MBX 5G with the auto and the manual procedure but no success…

error msg Invalid firmware…

Pieter

I upgraded and the direct access to the Starlink dish (https://192.168.100.1) is NOT working anymore. The description how to setup this with the special firmware was here:

Is this really true? If you have a beta of 8.2 in the inactive firmware slot and the GA release of 8.2 in the active firmware slot, can you not download 8.1.3 and install it into the inactive slot?

It still works for my setup. (I’m viewing it remotely via SpeedFusion from my remote office)
the Starlink/OOB managment fix has been in every release since the original.

curl -v http://192.168.100.1

• Trying 192.168.100.1:80…
  • Connected to 192.168.100.1 (192.168.100.1) port 80 (#0)

GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: 192.168.100.1
User-Agent: curl/7.77.0
Accept: /

• Mark bundle as not supporting multiuse
    < HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    < Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2022 18:11:15 GMT
    < Connection: close
    < Content-type: text/html
    < Accept-Ranges: bytes
    < Last-Modified: Mon, 28 Jun 1971 00:00:00 GMT
    < ETag: “2cbde80-9ba”
    < Content-Length: 2490
    <
Starlink

Is there any documentation on the latency based dynamic weighted bonding?

I updated again. This time I removed the COnfiguration and set it again. The Situation stay the same, its not working anymore. When I downgrade back to 8.1.1s, it is working.

See my configuration using 8.2.0.

screen-shot-2022-03-02-at-09.png|1578x786

Frank

Hi terra3110,

Yes, the WAN Management IP feature is officially in 8.2.0 and since 8.1.2 firmware.
![wan-connection.png|703x505] (https://s3.amazonaws.com/forum.peplink.com/uploads/1646182693954.png)

1 Like

After some further tests and re configuration, it is working now. Sorry for the mis-information in the first place.

Hi Michael. There are only two “positions” for firmware.

HOWEVER, Peplink has been thoughtful about this: It maintains a repository of older FW Here you will find older versions. For example, here’s what’s available for your Balance 20X:

If you want to load an older version just download it manually and install it. It will replace the FW that is not presently running.

• Rick
1 Like

Balance 20, HW Rev 6 here. Confused over whether 8.2.0 can/should be loaded onto this router. Here’s why:

1. Release notes for FW 8.2.0 show this:

Implies 8.2.0 is good for any Balance 20 (no HW limitation cited for this router, but HW limitations cited for at least one other router)

2. Router itself suggests upgrading to 8.2.0:

3. By contrast, Firmware Download site implies that 8.2.0 is only good for Balance 20s with HW rev of 7 or 8, and that for rev 6 or earlier, 8.1.3 is the most current firmware option.

Have I misunderstood something? Please clarify.

1 Like

Hi. In the screen cap you show one can see that 8.1.3 is the last FW rev available for HW1-6. The 8.2.0 release notes say:

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. With that explained, it does seem to me that there are two bugs:

1. The “Devices Supported” table in the Release Notes for 8.2.0 is misleading in this regard (it should make it clear there that the support for Balance 20 does not apply to revs 6 or earlier); and

2. The Firmware Upgrade function of firmware 8.1.1 does correctly identify 8.1.3 as the most current (supported) firmware version for this hardware. A device should never explicitly encourage a user to upgrade to unsupported firmware.

2 Likes

The Release Notes has been updated.

3 Likes

The Surf SOHO MK3 manual that is here:

contains nothing about DoH, either.

It seems the firmware update feature is indeed flawed. I tested a Balance 20 hardware version 1 (yes 1, used to belong to Abraham Lincoln) running firmware 6.something and it too said that version 8.2 was the latest and greatest. Obvious conclusion is that the router phones home with the model number but not with the hardware version, when checking for new firmware. Pretty surprising since hardware versions have been around for quite a while.

1 Like

The firmware checking function in devices is fixed.
The latest firmware version available for Balance 20 HW1-6 should be 8.1.3

5 Likes