Does Primecare really enable the WAN port on the MAX BR1 Mini?

I see conflicting information and would like some clarification from those that actually use the MAX BR1 Mini.

The Primecare announcement at:

Would indicate that the WAN port is enabled.

But the comparison table at: https://www.peplink.com/support/peplink-primecare/

…indicates I need the Feature Pack to enable Failover, thus the WAN Port.

Can somebody please confirm if we can use the WAN port as long as we have a Primecare license on the MAX BR1 Mini and Core?

Thanks,
Ricardo

Hello,

The first response is NOT correct.

The feature pack is required to enable the WAN port on a Max BR 1 Mini.

if you add the two year or four year primecare bundle at time of purchase the feature pack is included at no cost

MAX-BR1-MINI-BD-FP-2Y MAX BR1 Mini Bundle Offer - 2 year PrimeCare extension & complimentary feature pack
or
MAX-BR1-MINI-BD-FP-4Y MAX BR1 Mini Bundle Offer - 4 year PrimeCare extension & complimentary feature pack

either is required for WAN - otherwise you would have to pay $99 for the feature pack on its own.

A feature pack offers you the experience of an array of advanced features for a fraction of the cost. There are a total of 5 technologies that will give you a professional-grade user experience:
Wi-Fi WAN - Picks up on a known Wi-Fi and uses it as the WAN source
WAN activation - Enables the WAN interface on LAN 3
Hot Failover - Protect your connections with seamless failover
WAN Smoothing - Minimizes latency and reduces the impact of packet loss Ignition Sensing - Allows the router to start-up or shut down as the engine of the vehicle is turned on or off.
GPIO - Handles both incoming and outgoing digital signals

1 Like

@Ricardo_Villa @Peter_Dunn, do you have the device on hand?

Are you able to check that port 3 (LAN/WAN) port of the device settings have been correctly adjusted, so that the WAN is active and not the other way around?

This from a different model BR1 Mini, but still will be the same settings to check to either set the port as a WAN or a LAN connection.

1. Blue boxes → network → port settings.
  2. If you see the text similar to the orange box, click it, then you may have to save/apply settings(green boxes).
  3. If there is no orange box like the first screenshot, skip to the second screenshot.
  4. Red box - I believe there is a check mark on your device for port 3, you need to uncheck it. Then click save then apply(green boxes). If there isn’t a check, then you would need to check it.

@Cable17

On the HW3 Peplink Max BR 1 Mini, the WAN port is disabled unless you buy the feature pack or a feature pack bundle. There is no ‘setting’ that will change this.

It may have been different on previous Max Br 1 Mini models (and on other models such as Max Br 1 Pro 5G) but without the feature pack (either on its own or purchased as one of the bundles I listed) wired WAN functionality does not work on the device.

Sorry I inserted the wrong photo but look at the bottom of below and you will see “another wan is available for activation” - that is the via the $99 feature pack.

It may have been different on previous Max Br 1 Mini models (and on other models such as Max Br 1 Pro 5G) but without the feature pack (either on its own or purchased as one of the bundles I listed) wired WAN functionality does not work on the device.[/quote]
You are correct. I just looked through the BR1 and you either need to pay for the “feature pack” or a 2/4 year PrimeCare Warranty. @Ricardo_Villa

Roughly the same price as a 2 year PrimeCare Warranty renewal or bundle that is currently being offered. See below

-PrimeCare is included in the first year, with the ability to continue afterwards via paid subscription.
As all devices usually come with a 1 year warranty, PrimeCare or otherwise.

I assume this would stack and equal 3 years of warranty for the device, as well as a permanent “feature pack” unlock, regardless of warranty status. I highly doubt Peplink would take the free first year and from the 2 you are now paying for, and the feature pack back. This would need to be confirmed by someone from Peplink.

If this is the case and you are technically getting 3-5 years of warranty to unlock all the features, and that might be worth it if the equipment is not planning on getting replaced anytime soon.

I also am seeing this is a special bundle in order to get multiple years of warranty and the feature pack, without having to pay extra for each. I would assume this will not last forever. When it does the warranty and feature pack activation will be separate therefore costing double the price for just a 2 year warranty.

@Cable17

We are a Peplink reseller so I deal with this all day long.

Once the feature pack is enabled it is unlocked for good. That does not expire. Primecare does.

The max BR 1 mini hw3 includes one year of Primecare free. But not the feature pack. Add two or three additional years of Primecare at time of purchase and the feature pack (and perpmanent enabling of the above features) is included free. I listed all the SKUS above and linked yo the document explaining it.

Otherwise it is $99 to (permanently) unlock the feature pack.

I hope this helps!

Thank you very much Peter. This is welcome news. Purchasing the 2 Year PrimeCare bundle is going to be the ticket for us. We really need that WAN port and expect to need PrimeCare year after year as well.

Ricardo