Balance 20x - Features I would like to see added by Peplink

Hi guys, the Balance 20x has been a lifesaver for me, or more literally, an internet saver, haha!

Here are a few features that IMO would make the Balance 20x or the next updated model even better:

• Wireguard support – WireGuard is faster, simpler, and more secure than OpenVPN). It uses modern cryptography and has a streamlined codebase, resulting in faster connection times and lower latency. WireGuard is also easier to use and has native support on mobile platforms, making it a better choice.
    Peplinks says: We are looking into this and will likely available in v9 firmware.
  • VPN client auto-failover – The Balance 20x VPN client addon is highly reliable because it continuously attempts to re-establish the connection if the VPN provider service drops. However, for users with multiple VPN services from different providers and locations, such as ovpn, NordVPN, and ExpressVPN, adding multiple connection profiles isn’t enough. It would be helpful to set connection priorities so that if the first VPN provider goes offline, the router can connect to the second provider until the first is back online, and so on. Currently, the router only keeps trying to reconnect to the main profile, even if multiple profiles are already added.
  • eSim support – eSIMs are fast becoming the future of SIM card technology due to their convenience, ability to support multiple profiles, improved security, and additional functionalities. Currently, to replace the SIM card in the Balance 20x, it is necessary to remove it from the rack to access the bottom compartment where the SIM card is located. eSIMs offer a more convenient, flexible, and secure way to manage connections.
  • Rackmount kit– I’m currently using a universal rackmount kit from Ubiquiti.

For your consideration.

Here’s my Balance 20x install into my home lab:

2 Likes

I found your web site. :+1:t2:

click

1 Like

We love the product, as welll.

• It would be awsome to have POE as well on the LAN ports.
  • Ability to have external battery pack as a UPS.
1 Like

Cool, thanks for sharing. It says “unavailable”, but nice to know it exists.

That’s for the Balance 20. Afaik Balance 20X is different form factor and has no screw holes on the side.

1 Like

Peplink already supports eSIM on select models, it’s just their own though: SpeedFusion Connect 5G/LTE.
They also support RemoteSIM and FusionSIM, you only need an active SIM inside that can make the connection for the RemoteSIM to inject and take over the internal SIM.

And you need a SIM Injector to host the SIMs you want to use. This unit can be local or external to where the Peplink is. We are injecting 100+ SIMs all across our country with FusionSIM and 10 injectors in our DC.

All these features need a CAT6 or higher modem though, so if you have the CAT4 internal modem without extra module, these features are not available as the hardware doesn’t support it. Which is one of the reasons they made a CAT6 and CAT7 version of the Balance 20X.

1 Like