What is a right Solution for me?

Dear All,

we have 3 ADSL WAN Connection , all on Ethernet Ports
and we would like to bound all of them and get a Reliable and FAST Connection for our main office daily use which is WEB , VoIP and Skype and Etc. , by assuming that we don’t have a second office /location to do VPN from our main office to there and make any Tunnel .

Questions :

1-which Product is the answer for our demand among ( Balance, Balance One](http://www.peplink.com/products/balance-one/), Balance with MediaFast )?
2- which product has best and more feature for our demand ?](http://www.peplink.com/products/mediafast-specs/)
3- is it true that " SpeedFusion Bandwidth Bonding " is a MUST in your product to have a bounded WAN Connections ?
4- Balance 50 device seems to be a good device with 5 WAN port , but it has no " SpeedFusion Bandwidth Bonding " , does it mean this device will not be able to do Bandwidth Bonding ? please explain
5- what is " MediaFast " Capability for ?

thanks !

Regards,
Alireza :slight_smile:

Hi Alireza,

Please find this (Peplink | Pepwave - Forum) to have better understanding in SpeedFusion Bonding and Internet Link Load Balancing.

SpeedFusion Bonding needs 2 x Peplink devices. SpeedFusion Bonding supported in Balance 210/310 and above.

You can achieve Internet Link Load Balancing with your existing environment.

To be more simple, MediaFast is a Balance router which has the caching capability.

Hope this help.

1 Like

Hello,
thanks for explanation .

1-can i test "SpeedFusion Bonding " with your Software only Solution which called " FusionHUB " ?

2- if we assume that i will install a “SpeedFusion Bonding” in my office and another “SpeedFusion Bonding” in another Country with a High Speed Bandwidth
then please tell me , can i Bond all 3 Connections from my 3 WAN provider and send to WWW ( WORLD INTERNET ) with this connection method , if we assume my second VPS in that second country ( not my office ) has enough BandWidth to handle all 3 WANs together

3- if i install "SpeedFusion Bonding " in a Virtual Private Sever , what is the best Operating system to install it ? or it is OS itself and no need for a Operating System on a VPS " Virtual Private server "

4- in my office , how can i connect 3 WAN to my server and get 1 LAN to local network ( final bonded connection to my LAN from all 3 WANs "
, do i need a server with 4 Ethernet Ports ?

5- what is the best Operating System for my local server with 4 Ethernet Connection ( PORTS ) to install local SpeedFusion Bonding ?

6- Basic version of “SpeedFusion Bonding” can handle up to 5 devices , what does it mean ?
please explain a bit

Best Regards,
Alireza

SpeedFusion requires two SF capable devices, for bonding.

Once you have the SF VPN established, the WAN connections on either end will be bonded. When you send traffic out, it will be split up between all available local WAN connections and the other end of the tunnel will re-create/re-order the packets out through to the internet.

Basic Version of FH allows you to connect up to 5 remote locations (5 SF capable devices) to it.

We support multiple VM platforms and instances, depending on your network setup/requirements, will decide what’s best to install it on.

-Amazon Web Services (cloud managed)
-VMware
-Citrix XenServer
-Oracle VirtualBox
-Microsoft Hyper-V.

Dear Jarid,
many thanks for reply.

i am more clear now .

we would like to use this Scenario :

Location A ( our office ) which we have 3 WAN
Location B ( a ISP ) in Europe which provides VPS ( Virtual private Server ) to us with High Speed Internet

we would like to test and use SpeedHUB ( software only Solution ) for now .
so please tell me what do need in each location :

Location A :
Server with how many Ethernet Interface in order to provide 3 WAN and 1 LAN ? i guess 4 Ethernet Card
and … which Operation System will be the best for this test on Location A ?

Location B :
we can have only 1 Static IP and a Virtual Server , so we need to know what should be Operating System for this VPS ?
we would like to use www.digitalocean.com

many thanks

Alireza

Hi Alireza,

You need a Balance router instead of FusionHub at location A. FusionHub is a virtual appliance. It has 1 x WAN port only. It is running on top of Hypervisor not Operating System.

Fyi, we are exploring the possibility to run Fusion Hub on Digital Ocean. Stay tuned.

1 Like

Dear TK,

thanks for reply.
1-do you mean for "Location A ( our office ) which we have 3 WAN " we can not use a Fusion HUB even on a Server with 3-4 Ethernet Interface , am I correct ?
2-can we run FusionHUB over Linux Operating System ?

regards,
Alireza

Hi Alireza,

FusionHub will use one of your WAN links since it supports 1 WAN port only (even your server has 3-4 ethernet interface). If your intention is to bond these 3 WAN links, Balance router is more suitable.

FusionHub is running on top of Hypervisor, not Operating System. The supported Hypervisor was mentioned here.

1 Like

hello,
thanks for reply.

1-so FusionHUB is the right way to use in Location B , but in location A it has to be a Hardware Device like Balance Router 50 with 3+ WANs
am i correct ?

2- in our Country we have issues with Internet Content Filtering and some VPNs like PPTN , L2TP , SRTP are blocked
do you think we can still use a Balance Router in Office Location A to Location B , while Location A has Filtered Internet

3- what kind of VPN connection do we need between a Balance Router and A FusionHUB ?

Regards,
Alireza

Hello,

You will establish a SpeedFusion VPN between Balance Router and FusionHub. It uses TCP 32015 and UDP 4500 by default to establish and pass traffic.

If you have a site with multiple connections, we would recommend a Balance Router as FusionHub is only capable of 1 WAN connection as it is essentially a VPN concentrater.

If you want to bond WAN connections (which combines total bandwidth of all WANs into a single connection through SpeedFusion), you will need to go with a B210 or higher as these devices come with SpeedFusion.

NOTE Balance One and B305 don’t come with SF but can be upgraded to support SF with a Software License.

Otherwise any of our Balance routers supports PepVPN which runs off the same engine as SpeedFusion, however it does not perform bonding as there is only 1 active WAN connection used in the VPN tunnel.

This video explains a little more into SpeedFusion and how it works:

1 Like

Dear Jarid,
thanks for perfect and complete answers .

1-what is the cheapest Balance Router with bond WAN connection Capability with 2 or 3 WAN ports ?
2- can we upgrade Balance Router 50 with Software Key or Hardware to provide us " bond WAN connection Capability " ?

3- if we Set-up a "FusionHub " in our office Location A and another "FusionHub " on a Server in Location B , Location A and B described above ,
and if we can establish a VPN between them , can we say our Balance Router will work later on ?
( i know we can not do Boding on two FusionHub with 1 WAN only )

this is since in our country ( Location A ) most kind of VPN are blocked , like : PPTP , L2TP , SRTP and Open VPN are blocked by Government , so we need to find a way to make sure that Balance Router will work for us to Bond our WAN Connection

Regards,
Alireza

1. Balance 210/310 and higher support Speedfusion. You will want to take into account that various specs of each to see which one best fits your network needs:
    http://www.peplink.com/products/balance/model-comparison/

2. Unfortunately the Balance 50 does not support SpeedFusion license upgrade. The only ones that are capable of software upgrade are (Balance One and Balance 305 for now).

3. You will have VPN connectivity between the two sites with FH to FH. You can always drop Balance router into location A network and establish link to location B later on.
    SpeedFusion by default uses TCP 32015 and UDP 4500 to establish the tunnel and send traffic. The nice thing is that these ports are changeable in your case since government does block certain ports, you can try to choose known ports that are not blocked to establish SF VPN tunnel.

1 Like

hello Jarid,

thanks for reply.

i am much more clear now .

-if we use a B210 in location A with 2-3 WAN , and FusionHUB Software only in location B ,
can we still bond 2-3 WANs and send them via B210 to FusionHUB software only side ?

-is there any kind of Encryption for SpeedFusion VPN ?
if we set-up two FusionHUB Software only and connect them to each other , can we say B210 can do SpeedFusion VPN to a remote FusionHUB Software only later on ?

only issue is our fear from Filtering and getting block by Telecom Company

Regards,
Alireza Norouzi

Yes, you are right on point. B210 connected to FusionHub will allow for WAN Bonding on B210 side.

Encryption can be disabled otherwise, it used 256 AES.

1 Like

Jarid,

May I suggest to Peplink, that they make a simple test utility program, that connects between the user, and a test server at Peplink HQ. It would exercise the VPN and ports, and do a simple speed test of a junk file.

Then you can give users like Alireza (and me) and test program to verify that the system will work. We could buy with confidence. This is better than the current arrangement - buy a very expensive box, try it and fail - which is obviously troubling Alireza.

Even I could make a utility in 1 day, IF Peplink was to cooperate and share some of the secret sauce needed to make the test possible and realistic.

Hi,

Are you looking at PepVPN Test/PepVPN Analyzer tools ?

PepVPN Test:
Check the general TCP/UDP throughput.

PepVPN Analyzer:
Check the uplink performance of each tunnel.

For more information, please refer to the attached screenshot.

Else, you can consider to use Window File Sharing/Performance test tools (Jperf/Iperf) for the testing. Most of the tools are pre-build for the operating system.

Thank you

1 Like