We need a QOS setting based on data downloaded

I run a large network on a limited bandwidth and I’ve noticed some home routers allow for QOS settings based on data downloaded. This allows the first X amount of megabytes to be transmitted at a higher priority than the subsequent data. A solution like this would be ideal, since most people surfing the web will not be slowed down by people downloading larger files. Also, a priority based on destination IP address or domain might be a reasonable workaround. The way it currently stands, I cannot prioritize web traffic being transmitted through port 80, as it is all handled the same.

1 Like

The great thing about port 80 traffic is that it is very seldom tied to an IP for security or application comparability. Set up a weighted balance for 1:1:1 (however many WAN links). This is a round robin setup that I have been using and it works well. It doesn’t work for many protocols, but port 80 is a champ. Another candidate is NTP. Basically, quick and non-secure transactions work well with the round robin stuff.

1 Like

I’m also interested in this feature.