WAN Link Disconnects on a daily schedule

I have one Balance 20, of several, that disconnects for one minute every day, twice a day, at 4:46AM and 4:46 PM.

This has been observed for two weeks now. It may have been longer, but I was also experiencing lots of random disconnects that were a problem with the ISPs in-house router. Two weeks ago the ISP fixed thier problem, though the Peplink router became non-operational during the repair time frame (backup WAN and LAN all stopped working. power cycling modems and router did not restore functions. A site visit ,and a ten minute power off to allow the Peplink to cool off, and the function was restored. While on-site, I upgraded the firmware to 7.1.1 from 6.x.x (something). I did this in case what i was seeing was a malicious hijack event on the router.

Since that day I have noticed that I get two events every day where I receive two emails: WAN2 (primary) Disconnected, and Wan1 (backup) Connected. I do not usually get an email telling me the WAN2 (primary) has been reconnected, thought the logs show WAN2 reconnecting in one minute every time. Both events are now occurring at about 4:45 AM & PM. A week ago or so they were occuring at about 2:15 AM & PM.

So, ISP, says they are not aware of any momentary outages every day. Dynamic DNS is being checked Whenever a WAN Link comes online. I have turned Dynamic off on the Backup. Otherwise the logs the past few days just show the repeating pattern of WAN2 down for one minute every 12 hours like clock work.

Any thoughts on how I have misconfigured something?

Hello David_Jonathan,

This sounds like some type of scheduling as it’s happening at the same time everyday, but the scheduling can only be setup in half hour increments for every hour (i.e. 1:00, 1:30, 2:00, 2:30, etc). Can you please open a ticket with us here so that can further look into this?

1 Like

I have experienced a DSL connection that goes offline most days shortly after midnight. So, it might be the ISP. Certainly try tweaking your Health Check settings.

Also, it might be a scheduled task on the router. Just for good luck, backup current settings, reset the router to factory state and then import the current settings.

If you can, on another Peplink router with firmware 7.1.1 and multiple WAN connections, try manually disconnecting and re-connecting on WAN. I am not sure, but there may be an issue with the firmware sending re-connection emails nothing to do with that one particular router.

1 Like