Video streaming events

I stream mission-critical video events and need product advice. (You can see our videos at https://cxotalk.com)

I have two Comcast 1GB cable connections and one T-mobile hotspot from my phone (with an excellent LTE connection).

I failover to be instant so the video stream is never interrupted. Therefore, maybe load balancing is the way to go?

Can someone recommend which Peplink product would allow me to stream video and have instant failover in case a connection has issues like too much packet loss?

Thanks in advance!

Hello mkringsman,

A list of our products can be found here on our site:

If each of your two connections is 1GB and you wish to use both of them to the fullest, you’ll want to look at the 710 as this Balance router is able to support up to 2.5Gbps throughput. While the 580 is 1.5Gbps total throughput.

You may want to reach out to a reseller/distributor as they will be able to discuss all of your needs and help find a setup that will work best with you.
https://www.peplink.com/peplink-certified-partners/

1 Like

Thanks for the reply but primarily I am concerned whether the Balance series can do seamless failover without losing the outgoing video stream? That is my first priority and question.

I would recommend using bonding with SpeedFusion

1 Like

I am not trying to increase speed. I need stability of the connection.

Is that what SpeedFusion is designed to accomplish? I thought it was designed for bonding connections to gain speed.

SpeedFusion is designed for both increasing the bandwidth and for allowing for a high level of redundancy. If one of the WANs goes down packets will still be sent out other connections that are up without interruption of service. For highly critical things that need 100% up-time you can enable WAN Smoothing as well. This will double your data usage, but that’s because it’s sending the same packet out more than one WAN.

One of our partner created a video that we have posted on our site showing part of the bonding aspect while watching a video on YouTube. We also have more information on this page about SpeedFusion

1 Like

I SpeedFusion absolutely necessary to have network redundancy that instantly shifts traffic from one network to another in case of packet loss or other issues?

I would rather simply have a standalone hardware box, if possible. I do not need bandwidth bonding. Thanks!

All of these things need SpeedFusion Bonding to give you packet level seamless WAN failover and so you can use WAN Smoothing to mitigate any packet loss / jitter issues.

1 Like

Thanks for the additional information. Two more questions for you:

1. Can SpeedFusion be purchased as an add-on to any Peplink router that supports it?

2. Do you know the cost?

Only just scrolled up on your post. You say you have some big bandwidth fibre connections from comcast and you have an excellent LTE connection.
I assume you want to stream video over LTE?

Are you worried about packet loss at the comcast fiber end or just the LTE end?

Why don’t I make some assumptions to start - then you can correct me.

1. You want seamless video streaming in failover (at a minimum - potentially bandwidth bonding too in poor coverage areas) over LTE on location.
  2. You want seamless failover across your comcast connections at your head office.
  3. Your video stream likely gets encoded and passed to your HQ where it is decoded and then retransmitted - but you’s like to support facebook live and the like also.

So I would look at the MAX Tranist DUO for the LTE part. Dual LTE modems will give you hot failover out of the box, you can add a speedfusion bonding license later (at an additional cost) if you want bandwidth aggregation too.

Then you’ll need a device at the HQ office hanging off of your dual fiber connections.
If you wanted a Peplink device that could act as your gateway there and handle the full 2Gbps of routing throughput you’d need a Balance 710. That will provide load balancing for your day to day user traffic there but also supports SpeedFusion (comes with the license) so you’ll get hot failover (seamless) between the two fiber connections and the two LTE connections on the Transit as well as bandwidth bonding.

If you just want something that can act as a SpeedFusion endpoint for the Transit Duo and still support bonding then I would suggest a Balance 380 (comes with SpeedFusion License) or a Balance One (with an additional SPeedFusion license). These would sit on the LAN of your existing cable routers.

This graphic below shows IP CCTV but its the same idea.

1 Like

Martin,

You were close but not exactly correct on my needs.

1. I have two standard Comcast cable modems, not fiber. Also, have a WiFi hotspot off my LTE phone.
  2. I want to stream over the Comcast connections and use LTE as a backup only as an emergency
  3. Our video is encoded locally and send to a video streaming provider using RTMP

I’m thinking a Balance 305 might be sufficient for my needs.What do you think?

Also thinking of buying one used, so I am not sure whether that would come with the SpeedFusion license?

Thank you so much for the help!!

Ah OK. How much bandwidth do you need for the stream itself? I would assume less than 10Mbps?
If you want seamless failover between the links you’ll need a device capable of hot failover at the very least (check those feature comparisons to see.

You’ll also need another device in a fast internet connection somewhere to act as the other end of the SpeedFusion tunnel. Best solution for this is a FusionHub Virtual Appliance hosted in a datacenter.

Where in the world are you? Some partners offer Fusionhub hosting / speedfusion as a service.

Is this a permanent requirement? If not you might be able to hire or rent the equipment from a Peplink partner…

1 Like

Thank you for explaining so clearly!

Yes, i need less than 10Mbps upload bandwidth for streaming. I am in Boston.

We stream these events all the time, so I need a permanent solution. However, I do not want to purchase two sets of equipment. I would like to buy one router and then have it connect to a service on the other side.

Hello @mkrigsman,
As @MartinLangmaid has mentioned, FusionHub can be run in your network centre, it is a virtual appliance and its licencing is very reasonable.

For your application you could use a:

• Balance 210 with and upgrade key making it into a 310 and giving you 3 WAN connections.
  • Balance ONE Core with a SpeedFusion key & 5WAN Key.

Both of these first two options require you to use an additional peice of equipment to tether you mobiles Wi-Fi to the router (iOS devices can not tether via the USB, some Android may work).

If you want to have an all in one device, then consider the extra expense of a HD2 which has Wi-Fi WAN & two capable wired WANs built in (not to mention it has two of its its own LTE modems).

You would be best to engage with your local Certified Peplink Partner to help you supply and configure this, @Zach_Tangen posted a link in the second part of the previous post to where to find & verified current approved partners in your region.

Happy to help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

Thank you again for the help. I now understand that two sides are needed:

The local router and a SpeedFusion device on the far end of the connection. I’m looking for a solution that does not require equipment on the far end.

All multi-WAN packet level failover solutions (which would seamlessly keep a single video session working even when the WAN its currently using fails) need a device/service at the other side in a datacentre somewhere.

With Peplink you get to either host that yourself in the most appropriate manner for your needs (hosted geographically close to you, with the right bandwidth allowance in a really cost effective) or you can find a partner who will do that for you who will then charge a fee.

If you do go and use another service, make sure you check the monthly charges and the amount of bandwidth, they include in the fee.

1 Like