User Surf Soho as secondary router / wireless at home

Hi,

Can I use the pep wave surf soho as a seconday router / wireless point (the main one is a vigor ) and is there is any special config I need to do?

All best,

Neil

Hi Neil:

Sure, the Surf SOHO has Wi-Fi both LAN and WAN for this. Ha! Although you may want to consider making it your main unit (it’s pretty good)!

1 Like

cheers mate,

do you have a quick starter guide for this purpose?

neil

While there’s no official quick start guide, once you login to the UI, there’s a setup wizard that walks you through the basics pretty quickly.

1 Like

Thanks Jason,

I have plugged the surf soho (LAN1) into one of the ports of my router . but cant reach 192.168.50.1.

Any ideas?

neil

A reset solved the issue

1 Like

Glad to hear you got things sorted Neil. Enjoy your Peplink!

1 Like

Jason,

I seem to be having an issue wih DNS resolution (as not using WAN).

FYI: This is not from the point of view of the clients connecting to the Soho’s wireless, but from the perspective of the Soho itself. i.e. NTP does not work (Time is completely off) and for the firmware: “No result from last check, please try again later” and when I ping .

Also I cant ping or traceroute (but is this due to the WAN cable not being connected)?

Would you like to see the diagnostic dump?

All best,

Neil

Taking a step back, any router can be plugged into any other router. The WAN port of the new router just has to be plugged into a LAN port of the existing router.

1 Like

Hi Neil:

That would be my suspicion also. If there’s no path out to the internet from the SOHO services will not be able to update. Please make sure that you have a valid WAN and go from there (as @Michael234 mentioned).

1 Like

mmmm - if I connect the cable from the first router to the WAN socket of the PEP soho, wont the soho try and dial out?

1 Like

all things being equal, yes. As @michael234 mentioned, go from the LAN of the existing, original router to the WAN of the SOHO (making sure the SOHO is configured properly of course to take the connection) and it should work baring issues.

1 Like