Unable to see Apple Time Capsule from Balance One

Hoping that someone could help me with a problem I have using Apple Time Capsule (TC) and a Balance One (B1).

Problem: I am unable to see nor connect to the Apple Time Capsule from the WiFi.

Notes:

• All devices and clients have the latest firmware or OS
  • When connected to the TC WiFi I have no issues (although it does seem to access the Internet a little slower)
  • When connected to the B1 WiFi I have a very fast connection to the Internet but cannot see the TC
  • TC is physically connected to the Balance One (TC WAN <—> B1 LAN 2)
  • TC is set up in bridged mode (DHCP off)
  • TC has an IP reservation assigned from the B1
  • TC has Back-to-my-Mac turned off (already read about this issue)
  • I am able to AirPlay to AppleTV with no issues from all clients
  • B1 is managed by InControl2
  • B1 Firewall is NOT managed by InControl2 (this is due to me trying to troubleshoot this problem myself)
  • B1 has VLANs configured and am using VLAN 2 for WIFI and all LAN ports on the B1
  • VLAN2 has inter-VLAN routing turned on
  • B1 Bonjour Forwarding Service is turned on between VLAN2 and ANY (also tried it disabled)
  • All clients and TC are on the same VLAN (VLAN2) so they are the same subnet/network

Anyone have any suggestions on what I may try or do to get this to work? Not sure what else to try here and I’m sure I’m overlooking some detail here. I’ve also tried to search online through Google and through the Peplink forums and haven’t found anything that would help here. Apologies in advance if I missed a topic in the forums but from what I searched for nothing really came up or was helpful.

Thank you,
Vishal

Hello @Vduggal999,
In reading your notes, it appears your Apple AirPort Time Capsule (TC) is connected to the WAN, if so why?

Please connect via the LAN connections (TC LAN ↔ B1 LAN), make sure that the TC has a static IP for its LAN and the the TC has DHCP disabled.

We suggest that you look for search results of “how to connect airport time capsule to existing network” in your favourite search engine, one result we found that may help you in the correct configuration of your TC is “How to Add a Time Capsule or AirPort Extreme to an Existing Network with Bridge Mode”.

If this does not work, please reply with a schematic (drawing) of your setup.
Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

I have a similar setup with both a Guest and Non-Guest network on the Airport - perhaps Using Peplink Balance with Apple Airport Guest Network will help?

I have it connected via TC LAN (port 1) to B1 LAN (port 2) and have assigned a static IP with DHCP turned off and I am still unable to connect or see the TC.

I only have the two devices, TimeCapsule and Balance One and am using the Balance One as the primary connection point for clients. Everything is setup to use the same VLAN wether it is physically connected or via WiFi (and Inter-VLAN is turned on for the VLAN that everything is connected to).

Literally it is Balance One LAN (port 2) ↔ Time Capsule (port 1) … Client 1 connected via WiFi to Balance One.

I appreciate you also providing a link to the article in your reply but had already read that one and others.

Any other suggestions?

Hi there,

Thank you for your reply but had already read that post. Also, I’m not trying to create a Guest Network, just trying to connect to the Time Capsule from my MacBook which is connected via WiFi from the Balance One while the TimeCapsule is physically connected to the Balance One via CAT5 cable (static assigned within the same subnet/VLAN and DHCP is off).

Any other suggestions?

Found the issue … Layer 2 Isolation was turned on for the SSID that was being broadcasted. Turning this feature off resolved the issue!

1 Like