Two minimum devices to get upload bonding

What would be the two minimum, most affordable peplink products to achieve bonding and WAN-smoothing?

On location: Peplink MAX Transit DUO
On the receiving end: Peplink Balance 20

Is that correct?

Thank you!

Do you have one or two physical locations? (I.E. do you specifically want to route everything to a physical site you have as the receiving end instead of the cloud?)

For the most affordable way to get started, you could use a fusionhub solo on a cloud instance for $5-$10 per month which is a really attractive aspect to peplink for those just starting out with bonding with simple needs. Or you could use the speedfusion cloud. Both alternatives to a second device if you only have one location.

Other things to consider when choosing a device:

Look at the speedfusion/pepvpn encrypted throughput if you will be using encryption on the bonded connection.

Look at the cost of the speedfusion license required vs. devices it’s bundled with.

We do video streaming so we normally have one remote location (we have several cameras) and only one receiving end (the studio). We don’t need encryption, we just need bonding and WAN-smoothing on the upload.

Reading your words, it seems that we do not need a physical router on the receiving end to re-packet the packets of the bonding, just the cloud? So, on the receiving end, do we have to connect to a sort of peplink VPN to receive the feeds?

Max Transit DUO seems to us a good options as it bonds two 4g/LTE + ethernet + wifi. I would be great if it had integrated battery. Anyway, we don’t know what’s best on the receiving end.

Thanks a lot for your tips.

Sorry – please disregard my post as I did not understand your use case. I’ll let others step in and provide you a better answer who have experience with video from field to studio.

Oh, please, do not apoligize. Every answer is welcomed. I’m still learning the Peplink ecosystem and I will take advantage of all the information posted here. Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Transit Duo CAT 12 Primecare & A Free Fusionhub Solo license will get you bonding, wan smoothing and forward error correction to the cloud (or wherever you have hosted the Fusionhub vm).

If you want a physical device in your studio then the 20X is fine. It is limited to 100Mbps of unencrypted VPN throughput, but you could in theory fail over from wired wan to its buillt in LTE modem. In practice you won’t.

Most broadcasters I am working with at the moment use a B310x in the studio (dual fiber lines and CAT18 LTEA-Pro modem for backup) and Transit DUOs / HD4 MBX at the remote sites which is a powerful combination.

1 Like

I see, great tips. What are the advantages of having a physical router at the receiving end instead of just having the Cloud? If I have a balance 20x router at the studio it means that I no longer need the Fusionhub cloud because the re-packaging of the “bounded data” will be done “on premises” in the router?

Thanks!

Speedfusion bonding happens point to point between Peplink appliances (virtual or physical).

Benefit of a device in the studio is that you don’t need a virtual machine in the cloud. Disadvantages are that you need to spend money upfront on a studio device.

Or if you have virtual servers running in the studio already then host a fusionhub there instead of the cloud.

Benefit of Peplink hardware in the studio is that (combined with additional wan links) you then have internet resilience there too and a great routing platform to decide and configure how to use the available WAN links.

Also a fusionhub in vultr will do many hundreds of mbps of throughput for $5/month, a balance 20X is limited to 100MBps.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.