Transit tethering

Probably, or a good old fashioned USB LTE modem that actually presents itself as a modem, rather than a USB-Ethernet adapter, I’ve not used the Max Adapter to know how it operates but it should really be capable of doing both :slight_smile:

Either way though you’re going to need to take the SIM out of a phone and put it into that device which I suppose is what the OP is wanting to avoid here, and depending on how draconian the carrier is if they see the IMEI of something they don’t like it may not work at all / for very long anyway .

Having said that, fundamentally what the OP is asking for is more than likely not going to work how they think it does.

Tethering via USB or via the personal hotspot in the phone is in my experience in modern phones implemented in the same fashion - the phone becomes a little router and NATs clients behind it, it does not turn itself into a modem and pass itself directly to the host attached via USB.

Older Android phones may behave differently in that regard, but in modern versions of the OS more than likely not. It is easy enough to test that though by connecting the phone to a laptop and seeing how it behaves / what kind of connectivity you get.

I have one of the outdoor MikroTik LTE things configured to do bridging where it basically just acts as an LTE - Ethernet bridge for whatever SIM I put in it but the 'Tik handles all of the LTE side of things. Handy for certain specific applications and it is basically doing the same as a Peplink in IP passthrough mode.

The max adapter presents itself as a usb modem , not a usb ethernet.

I am still trying to find the best solution to mount a mast on roof, have a device in attic, that feeds into Peplink router on a lower climate controlled level, which keeps the antenna run short. It is just a shame to spend so much on a Dome if all its being used for is connecting to cellular and have to invest in a second expensive Peplink router still. A “remote modem” would be huge for peplink I think. Offer an option in Dome format and maybe one not in dome format so external antennas can be used. Plugs into ethernet port of Peplink router. I think it would sell well…

@mystery
A remote modem , other then the usb max adapter, just doesn’t exsist yet.
Other then it in USB handoff, it’s going to need some linux , some memory etc to convert to ethernet.
I think what we will see in the future is software that allows us to see something like a dome on a 20x, or other models and the cellular signal interface is integrated as if it’s build-in to the unit itself.

Can you do a Dome and just a wifi ap inside?
I don’t know why you can’t use your dome or BR1 IP67 as a primary router?
Remind me did you need to use a Primary WAN and a cellular?

Is what I have, POE powered goes outside and its a 60ish degree antenna so not too hard to align. Only Cat6 modem onboard but in a lot of rural areas where the towers are quite distant it works well enough. That then feeds Ethernet into a Peplink and if you want you can configure it for bridging the LTE directly, or just have it do NAT. They are quite inexpensive, MSRP is like $150 USD. I find RouterOS a bit janky, but once it is configured it has mostly behaved itself.

Good to know, thanks! :slight_smile:

Yes, there are primary wired WANs such as cable internet/fiber. The cellular is hot failover or smoothing for some things.

If the dome/ip67 had a wired wan and it could be placed outside ,but still route lan/wan traffic inside the home would that solve this use case?

thanks, i will take a look at the mikrotik. at quick glance seems to have limited bands and only 2ca as well is directional versus omni. sim is also up on the unit but i guess i can live with that.

I have to take a look at Sierra’s products to see if they have something simple: 4G/5G LTE Cellular Routers and Gateways