Switchover seems delayed on Balance 30

I have a Balance 30 running firmware version 7.1.0 build 3504. It is connected to 3 lines. One is a feed from a 4G modem, which passes through a Ubiquiti wireless link, so that it is connected to the Balanced by ethernet. The other two are DSL lines. The Balance is connected to the house’s switch.

Most of the time this works well. However, the 4G link regularly has short dropouts of a few minutes in duration. These are noticeable when I’m using the PC in question, because the Internet seems a lot slower. If the 4G link remains out for a while - sorry, I have not been able to quantify this - then it seems to give up on the 4G and shift everything to the DSL links. The Internet then perks up noticeably.

To my mind, the switchover is far from smooth. When I bought the Balance, it was my understanding that the device would compensate for a disruption on one link fairly quickly. That does not seem to be the case. It may be that I am misunderstanding what the Balance actually does, or it may be that one of my settings (perhaps something related to a timeout?) is not as it should be.

Any advice as to where to start looking would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Dan

Dan, you can configure how aggressive the switch over is with the Health Check settings on the WAN page. Everything is a tradeoff. More frequent health checks consume bandwidth (not an issue for most internet sources today). Reducing the number of failed checks to flag off line can lead to false flags.

In the example attached, (if I understand correctly) the Balance will perform a DNS test, and wait 5 seconds for a reply before calling it a fail. It will then wait 5 more seconds before trying again, and 5 more seconds for it to fail (second test). Then wait 5 seconds before trying a third time, and 5 more seconds wait for a reply. Thats 25 seconds before flagging the WAN as inoperative. The screen shot is from one of my pages, so I should shorten those times!

2 Likes

Please check the following knowledge base on how the WAN health check work.

1 Like

Thanks Don, I can’t see the attachment, but I will follow your advice, and that of sitloongs.

Dan

1 Like