Suggestions for Group Bandwidth Reservation


#1

I would like to suggest changes to the (Network > Bandwidth Control > Group Bandwidth Reservation) interface:

  1. I would like to be able to set the percentage in increments of 1 instead of 5. For example, I want to be able to set bandwidth at 14%, 28%, or 93%.

  2. I would like to rename the existing groups instead of being forced to use default (Manager, Staff, and Guest).

  3. I should be able to have only two groups instead of three. For example, Manager (95%) and guest (5%), without dealing with Staff group.

  4. I would like to be able to set bandwidth for more than three groups. Perhaps increase the groups to five, or add the ability to add our own groups.

  5. This sounds silly, but I would like to be able to have only one group. For example, I would like to be able to set everyone as manager at 95% without having Staff or Guest groups at all. That way, I can ensure that no single person consumes 100% of the bandwidth at any time.

  6. This might be too much to ask for, but how about different bandwidth reservation for each WAN? My WANs have different download and upload speeds, so this can be useful. For example, I could disable bandwidth reservations for WAN1, and enable it for WAN2 and WAN3 at 90% and 70% respectively for the Manager group, etc.

  7. Again, probably too much to ask for, but what about separate upload and download group reservation. For example, to manage upload bandwidth reservation without changing download reservation.

I love the Group Bandwidth Reservation feature, but I stopped using it due to lack of flexibility and control. I’m basically forced to have the wrong number of groups, with inconvenient group names, at percentages I don’t want, on the wrong WAN, and the wrong up/down stream. The above suggestions is just what I need to start using it again.


#2

I am just a dude on the internet, but your requests could be interpreted as contradictory. While I get the gist of what you are doing (asking for flexibility for all parameters), perhaps explaining the desired outcome may be a more direct way of getting the point across.

The bandwidth reservation may not be the pony to pick in this race. There is also bandwith limits per group. Bear in mind, the way the features are worded implies that they only take effect when links are at full capacity for bandwith reservations. Bandwith limits are enforced all of the time.

If you want to limit guests to 4%, then take your download capacity (I assume aggregate, but I could be wrong), multiply by .04 and use that as you download cap for the guests group. Use the remaining 96%, and use that for staff. Don’t assign anyone to the manager group. No one will ever get 100%, and you are only utilizing two groups.

Hope that helps.