Streaming Workaround

Yep! I know about Speedfusion Connect… That being said, is there a workaround for this?

Scenario:

• WAN1 (primary) WAN2 (backup) (weighted balance) 10:1
  • Streaming On YouTube (WAN1 handles the traffic due to weighting)
  • WAN1 is unplugged (viewers experience a 20-second delay before WAN2 takes over)
  • WAN1 is plugged back in (back online)
  • WAN1 will not pick up where it left off (of course) due to session/routing
  • WAN2 handles ALL YouTube session traffic going forward

UNTIL

• From the Dashboard, I DISCONNECT WAN2
  • WAN1 immediately takes back over the YouTube stream with NO SPOOLING seen by the viewer (very nice!)

Question: Is there a way to automate this?

If WAN1 & WAN2 are UP and WAN1 goes DOWN, once WAN1 comes back UP online (must be a delay or test done) can WAN2 be disconnected and reconnected automatically? A simple HUP (stop/start) of the (non-primary) WAN or WANs would be perfect to push traffic back to the top-weighted WAN.

Create a priority based rule in your outbound policy with WAN1 as primary and WAN2 as secondary for the device in question. Then check the box at the bottom that says “Terminate Sessions on Connection Recovery” and it will move back to WAN1 upon recovery.

3 Likes

Once WAN1 is cut, there is a 20-25 second delay (Stream Spooling) before the failover to WAN2 and a very brief 1-2 second hiccup (stream blackout) when the fallback to WAN1 happens. (Sweet!)

Question: Is there a setting to allow for the failover to WAN2 once WAN1 (primary) goes down to happen quicker (less than 20-25s)?

Thanks in advance for your time!

If you are unplugging the cable, the failover to WAN2 should be instant. If you are experiencing a normal WAN failure, then 20-25 seconds would be controlled by the health check settings on that WAN. If you are unplugging the cable and the failover is not instant, I’d look at your outbound policy and make sure you are using something like priority which moves the sessions immediately to the other WAN once one is marked as down.

1 Like

agree, look at your health check settings. how many failures, for how long, etc.

1 Like

Yes… Plugging the plug takes about 20 seconds.

I’ve not set the Health Check Settings on WAN1

Just brainstorming here…
Is WAN2 standby state set to always connected?
Is there any other reason WAN2 would take 20 seconds to come online when you switch to it… What type of connection is it? Cable modem, dsl, Ethernet, etc?

If you unplug the cable in WAN1 and the link light turns off… The dashboard should show disconnected and the very next request will get routed to WAN2… So the failover should be milliseconds.

Maybe run a test using ping or http to see if the streaming player is introducing an issue?

1 Like

based on what you have shown there are health settings set. look at the time out, interval, retries, etc. do the math. there will be a delay.

WAN2 Always On

WAN1 = Starlink
WAN2 = U-Verse

The failover from WAN1 to WAN2 is now much faster… I will have to do some streaming tests. while running a ping and having PL real-time traffic monitoring going to watch when the switch happens from WAN1 to WAN2 and then back again to WAN1 once plugged backing.

What are the best Health Setting to achieve the quickest results? I notice, that the minimal setting for the Health Check Interval is 5 seconds. Thanks in advance.

As has been mentioned, you should expect some delay if LINK remains active and actual internet stops working. If the LINK drops, (light goes out), it should be quicker. If you want to put the connections together, you can look at Speedfusion Smoothing or Hot failover. Smoothing will provide a completely uninterrupted connection if you have at least one stable WAN at any given moment.

1 Like

Thank you, Mystery.