Status Ticket 786228

I need help. I’m getting really slow response from support about a known bug. The firmware that was provided as a fix broke all routing of devices connected to the firewall. I have sent debug information. I have spent hours troubleshooting but I can only do so much. I really need to know whats going on with this issue and a fix. Please assist. Summary of issue is as follows.

Ticket 786228---------------------------------------------------------------
I went ahead and upgraded the firmware this morning. I’m now on 7.1.0, 1284. This did not resolve any of the issues.

I’m pretty positive there is some bug with the dns health check. On the WAN with the health check enabled, I can NEVER get a connection. The Wifi WAN with health check enabled seems to drop connection intermittently, this may be an actual issue with that internet connection though I’m not sure.

The WAN however is different.

1. I still have the issue where if I unplug WAN ethernet and plug back in, I have to reboot devices in order to recognize the connection again.

2. DNS health check keeps me from EVER getting a connection.

3. The only way to maintain connection to ISP is by disabling DNS health check and rebooting the modem, or sometimes both FW and modem.

From peplink
It looks as though you may have run into a known issue. Can you please try installing this firmware and let me know if you continue to see the issue?
https://download.peplink.com/firmware/br1ac/fw-max_br1mk2_hotspot_sohomk3-7.1.1s008-build1338.bin

Regards,
Zach
Peplink | Pepwave

From ME

I just finished backing out of this upgrade. This new firmware you gave me fixed the connection problem but broke in some way any computer or device directly connected.

After upgrading,

1. Tested the dns health check and disconnecting and reconnecting WAN cable, this all worked well.

2. Trunk port connection with all vlans to my wifi switch (different managed switch) worked from what i could see. My AP allowed all wireless connections on multiple networks/vlans with internet.

3. NVR directly connected to firewall had no internet connection from what i could tell. I plugged my laptop directly into port 3, same one as NVR. My laptop would not pull DHCP even though it is available on this vlan. I switched the network/vlan of the port with the same result. I also switched port to the private vlan and statically assigned and IP. I was able to ping local devices but even if i entered the proper gateway and DNS, I could not get out to the internet. I tested this stuff on other ports on the FW with the same result.

4. I backed out of this firmware because this is worse than the previous problem. Once back on the previous firmware, with no changes made, everything worked again. Of course i still have the original connection problem for which i put in a ticket.

5. I would really appreciate if next time you give me a solution that is fully tested and doesnt break other stuff. I expected this to be a quick fix and have wasted like 2 hours late at night troubleshooting this crap and also am sick.