SpeedFusion Cloud Instructions - Safeguarding Your Connectivity

In the SpeedFusion Cloud profile, there is a section for WAN Connection Priority: Off or 1 (highest) through 6 (lowest). I assume these are essentially failover levels?

It would be great to see a Weighted Balance choice here, since equal usage can easily skew data usage on links of varying speed, with hard caps, with soft caps (thottling), or pay-per-megabyte or other constraints.

Yes they are.

You can use Weighted Balance as a traffic distribution approach already.

FW 8.1.0 brings Dynamic weighted bonding as a speedfusion traffic distribution technique to compliment Bonding, Lowest Latency, Weighted Round Robin and Overflow techniques. The default is bonding, the rest are hidden and have to be enabled via the support.cgi page.

2 Likes

Thank you! @MartinLangmaid 8.1.0 hadn’t hit my radar yet.

I’ll wait for 8.1.0, seems Dynamic Weighted Bonding may be what I’m after… assigning traffic / session proportions to individual links within the bond, but still using all of the aggregated links simultaneously.

I’ve installed 8.1.0 RC4, but it doesn’t seem that the Traffic Distribution Policies help my use case. I was hoping to be able to apply a Weighted Balance set of proportions to the bonded aggregated WAN links.

Dynamic Weighted Bonding seems to be some tweak (not sure what exactly) for cellular links.

It’s not clear to me what the use cases are for the non-bonded Traffic Distribution Policies; most of those can be set up in Outbound Policy.

The weighting in Weighted Bonding distribution mode is based on the manually configured up and download bandwidth set in connection properties. Dynamic Weighted bonding removes the manual element. Lowest latency is self explanatory, Is is overflow,

Perhaps, but its much more complicated as you’d need to setup multiple subtunnels (max of 5) that each use a single WAN to use outbound policy in that way. Traffic Distribution Policies could do overflow over 10+ WAN links and is a couple of clicks.

1 Like

“Weighted Bonding” is the default “Bonding” choice I’d guess.

I interpret that to mean that with Dynamic Weighted Bonding, actual link speed and latency are used to push more data on faster links relative to slower links. But the issue is that link constraints are independent of link capability. For example, some fast links may have low caps, and therefore I want to artificially constrain the bandwidth used on those links relative to the slower links, but all links still aggregated into a bonded set.

In other words, for SpeedFusion Cloud, I’d like to be able to assign traffic / session proportions (e.g., “2:2:5:10:10”), per link in a bonded set, just like the Weighted Balance Outbound policy. Not Round Robin, but rather relative weightings for multiple simultaneous bonded links. (And not in some way that constrains those links when used simultaneously outside of the bond.)

No. Default Bonding is packets distributed evenly over all wan links.

You could use weighted bonding and artificially manually adjust WAN bandwidth settings to achieve that. That would limit weighted load balancing effectiveness outside of the tunnel and effect overflow algorithms outside of the tunnel too.

If you want to explore this further please create a new thread - we’ve hijacked this one for long enough :wink:

3 Likes

i have been using fushionhub solo and it seems many datacenters get blocked. i am using digital ocean currently and too many things are blocked. what are folks seeing using peplink’s speedfusion cloud?

When I put my activation code in, it said that it was already used. I found that I could assign rules to the FH Cloud, BUT there was no profile created for the Speedfusion Cloud. So I really don’t know if it’s working. How do I create a profile for SF Cloud? Where do I find the necessary inputs for the profile creation form? Also, there is no place in the UI that states the public IP that is used with SF Cloud. What do I do?

There is a video you should watch further up this thread

It doesn’t show as a speedfusion profile in the usual place. Instead it has its own menu ‘Speedfusion Cloud’ where you chose the region you want to connect to. Once connected you’ll see it listed on the main dashboard:

and the status > Speedfusion page where if you click the arrow.

You can see the public IP of the speedfusion cloud and run a speed test to see how well its working for you.

1 Like

In the original, first video about features, the op says that options for wan smoothing and/or bonding would be available so that I can allocate certain connections to one or the other of these. I don’t see any options in this regard.

And since I have your attention, :slight_smile:, I have found that rebooting by unplugging restores the sim connections to much better bandwidth performance. A reboot through the interface does not, otherwise I would just schedule a weekly reboot.
Why does the performance deteriorate over time and why do I have to unplug and replug to get my cellular performing optimally?
Thanks Martin!

Those options are demoed here https://youtu.be/hJHa2NXPImw?t=89 make sure you are on latest 8.1.0 firmware.

Grab a diagnostic when it is slow, and another when it is fast after the reboot and log a ticket with Peplink Engineering for review.

1 Like

Thanks Martin. I will.

I can’t seem to find/download the latest beta version of the firmware, MTD and Fusionhub. Did the link get removed?
Also, how do I disable/uninstall Speedfusion Cloud? It is WAY more expensive than Vultr Fusionhub and doesn’t perform any better, for me. I ran through my gratis license in about 3 days which tells me that it will be way too expensive. Also, with all of the testing, download/upload, that is required for bonding (NOT, by any means, plugNplay), I don’t think anyone will be able to afford SC. Somehow, this testing should be exempted from the license limits but I don’t know how that could be done. Until Speedfusion works better with cell connections, I don’t think anyone will opt to buy it - my humble opinion. Thanks.

I should mention that there was an upside to SC. None of my streaming services were VPN blocked. I wish Vultr could use a better block of IPs.

Also should find another thread to post this content on - I didn’t mean to hijack. Sorry.

That is good to hear. What about websites that normally blocked the IP? I have found so many things are blocked because of my Digital Ocean IP.

I didn’t try. Now, my subscription has run out. I still can’t find away to remove the tunnel from my interfaces. I’ve had trouble with autotrader, puritan, apple, and doityourself websites. Outbound policies using domains don’t work - I had to disable the tunnel for the device that I wanted to browse these on; not the best solution.

Ah ok. Interesting the streaming works but all those are still blocked. What DC/providers does Peplink use for Speed fusion cloud? I.e. who owns the IPs / network etc.

This topic was automatically closed after 12 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.

Please continue the discussion of SpeedFusion Cloud in this post:

1 Like