Sonos is not working across VLANs

Hi everyone,

Going a bit crazy with this here. I have a VLAN dedicated to Sonos because we have 15 speakers in our office and I want them all to use WAN2. Since they use SonosNet, I figured I’d just plug the primary speaker into the Peplink switch and assign it a VLAN so that I can set an outbound route based on that IP Network instead of creating 15 different outbound routes.

The problem is that now they don’t work at all, or they are super spotty. So for example, I’ll be on our primary wifi and will try to control the Sonos. Most times it says no Sonos system found. In some cases, 3 speakers will appears but that’s it. Then my employees that are on the Employee wifi network which is another VLAN also can’t access or control the Sonos now. I have Inter-VLAN routing turned on as well so not sure what the issue is. Saw other people with a similar issue on this forum but the thread is old and didn’t have any resolution.

It’s not possible to have Sonos running between VLANs. You have to be on the same VLAN to control it. We have some systems with Sonos on different VLANs e.g. kitchen on the staff VLAN and rest of the property on Owner VLAN. Funny thing is when you change your phone running the Sonos app to a different VLAN, you keep control of the Sonos for about a minute but then it drops.

1 Like

Oh okay thanks, that’s disappointing as I just spent the weekend segmenting our network into multiple VLANs that now will all have to be removed since everyone needs to control the Sonos. We deploy home automation and audio solutions to customers so kind of embarrassing having them come to our demo centre and I can never connect to the Sonos lol. Weird that it has a check box saying “Inter-VLAN Routing” or whatever it is when it doesn’t actually work.

It’s to do with the way Sonos communicates which is only within its own subnet, something to do with the broadcasting.
But the Bonjour forwarding feature works very nicely for bridging AirPlay between VLANs.
I think PacEdge have a product that is designed to help with this https://www.pakedge.com/

1 Like

It can be done, but i cant find the proper names for what needs to be done on the peplink, heres a link on how its supposed to work, ill post if i have any success finding what each option is on the balance and if theres even an option to do it:

1 Like

Seems we need IGMPProxy enabled on the balance… which i cant find…

1 Like

Thanks for the info!
This is still a feature that we really need!

1 Like

I agree, if i had a penny for every sonos that has given me nightmares … lol

1 Like

We try and avoid it and go with proper sound systems but in smaller installs, it’s required…

One thing I have noticed is that if I have some Sonos devices on one VLAN and other devices on another VLAN, when I change between the VLANs (wifi SSIDs) then I’m briefly able to see all the Sonos devices on the network and play to all at the same time even though they are on different VLANs. Sadly this stops working after about 20-40 seconds…

1 Like