So, the big question: why did Peplink build its own forum?

Please find below an update on the progress of performance enhancement for the forum.

Resolved issues (scheduled to be pushed out this week):

• Fixing reply in message
  • Solved answer link should now direct to exact response
  • Direct message fullscreen option
  • Removal of unrelated posts when clicking a popular category on the left
  • Mention display name
  • Keyboard shortcuts
  • Auto-group based on domain
  • Post preview image resize
  • Showing keywords in advance search
  • Enhancement on mentions in post and advance search

To do:

• Underlining heading when creating a topic
  • Hiding empty spam responses
  • Disappearing user avatar icon
  • Direct message- clicking outside of reply box removes message

@Shereen

UI changes that would make navigation much simpler.

• If input is not required in a popup window, the hitting the Escape key should close that window. I shouldn’t have to click OK or X to close the window.
  • Clicking on any thread (or maybe a button next to the thread) that contains new unread responses should take me to the oldest UNREAD response instead of having to scroll down to where that unread response may be.
  • There should be a keyboard shortcut (perhaps g,j for next and g,p for previous) that takes me directly to the next or previous unread response either in the current thread or the next thread.
  • I should be able to mark any thread to be ignored.
  • I should be able to mark any thread(s) as read without having to open them and scroll to the end.
  • Clicking “back” or “u” to go back to the previous page should take me back to where I was on that page. This is really a pain to be returned to the top of the page.
  • Any progress on fixing the keyboard shortcuts as I described in this thread on 8/29.
2 Likes

@festus77

We’re currently in the midst of developing phase 2 Peplink Community. We will look into the feasibility of incorporating your suggestions, alongside the new features we plan to introduce.

As for keyboard shortcuts, these have been updated.

Thanks

I would add my vote for

• A way to mark a thread as read
  • Remember my choice to sort a thread by latest instead of oldest default
2 Likes

One small feature that would be nice would be the ability to click on the peplink Community logo in the upper left and have it refresh the entire page (and load new posts) by returning to the user’s default landing page. This is functionality common on many websites. Easy-enough to just use the browser refresh but instinctively I click the logo and then remember it does not work on this site. Not a big deal but a nice to have.

1 Like

@jwleslie303

This shouldn’t be a problem. We will add this feature to this enhancement list and have it pushed out shortly.

Thanks for the suggestions! :smiley:

Please find below an update on the progress of performance enhancement for the forum.

Resolved issues (scheduled to be pushed out this week):

• Create topic modal fix
  • Missing category
  • Redundant results in advance search fix
  • Preference page accessibility
  • Empty content hidden
  • Draft bug fixed
  • Group modal fixed
  • Activity page accessibility
  • Reply button bug fix

Please continue to share what you would like to see in Phase 2 of Peplink Community!

Perhaps this is already known but I see some non-deterministic behavior on the new forum software. Sometime the landing page loads recognizing the posts that I have already viewed (greyed out) but sometimes not. This changes on page refresh non-deterministically. Likewise, sometimes the site remembers I prefer the post sort order to be ‘by latest’ and then on the next click it forgets and sorts ‘by oldest’. Almost as If I am being load balanced across a pool of application servers running different versions or with out of sync user state data.

One suggestion, make the ‘by latest’/‘by oldest’ sort a settable preference in the user profile so it is explicitly stored server-side.

Thanks.

2 Likes

@Shereen I noticed that adding quotes on a phrase doesn’t restrict the search to the exact phrase. For example: “SpeedFusion Connect” with quotes on would only give posts with exactly the same phrase in it.

Normally Google and other search engines have this feature and it is very helpful. IMO this could be a good feature to add later on.

2 Likes

Firefox enhanced tracking protection makes this site show up as a blank white page. I reported it through Firefox reporting tool, so they will probably whitelist it, but you may want to see what’s triggering the problem.

2 Likes

Something recently broke. Viewing my own profile, I click to view my past replies (to find a past thread), and the list is blank. Forum thinks I have made no replies?

1 Like

Would it be possible to increase the pagination size? For example, this thread has about 30 comments. When I first load it and begin scrolling down, it appears to fetch a new batch of comments about every 5-6 comments, meaning it takes 5-6 separate transactions to complete loading this single thread.

I understand that for performance & bandwidth reasons, it may not make sense to load an entire thread at once, but I think loading in batches of 5 is way too small.

I would argue you should load at least 30 to perhaps 100 comments at once, but have the images set to lazy loading.

@jwleslie303
We are caching the listing page for one minute, this will be removed in forum2.0
the oldest/ latest data is saved in db since the beginning, there was some glitches causing this problem, this fix is completed and will be pushed shortly.

@dajian888
This one is a bit complicated, we will work on this after major bug fix

@C_Metz
We cannot replicate the same error, please let me know if the problem still occur at your side.

@mystery
it is fixed in our dev environment and will be pushed soon

@soylentgreen
we have added it to our enhancement list

1 Like