SMS sending by MAX router

Hello,

I would like to use MAX router for IoT appalications. Our ethernet I/O unit able to send message to the destination UDP or TCP port. If MAX router can listen a TCP/UDP port to get the message and send it as SMS, this feature can open a lot of opportunities. And also I should define an SMS phonebook on MAX router.

What is your comment?

Thanks,

3 Likes

Hi. Thats an interesting idea. What sort of data would you like to send? I assume it would be alert or message based?

Guess it would work best if the MAX presented a rest api for SMS message sending and retrieval? So it acts as a SMS gateway? That the idea?

1 Like

Hi Martin,

It can be alert or message. Message is very short data. For example “door opened”, “Over voltage” are generated by ethernet I/O device.
Ethernet I/O able to send message as e-mail, TCP/UDP message to TCP/UDP Server etc.
Yes MAX router should act as SMS gateway( TCP/UDP to SMS or e-mail to SMS )
This feature will open a lot of opportunity for M2M IoT market.

Thanks,

Understood. And so the question becomes where are the messages sent via SMS sent to? Do you envisage another MAX device receiving the SMS then converting back to TCP/UDP message? Or is your use case just sms to users smartphones?

1 Like

Would be nice to have to option to forward TXT messages received by the router on to email and also need to be able to send the odd message from the router for toping up data etc.
Thanks

1 Like

Hi Martin,
MAX router should listen a TCP/UDP port like a syslog server. When it receive a text, text should be send as SMS to the receivers that are defined in a phonebook. just sending sms to smartphones.
I think email to sMS is complicated. I/O unit needs an email server. we can forget it.
Thanks,

I did a search for SMS for Pepwave and it brought me here.
Personally I would love to have an SMS for topping up prepaid SIM’s. Currently i need to remove the SIM, put it in a phone, SMS the credit voucher code and reinstall the SIM in the Pepwave.

Additionally, our secondary GSM provider requires users to do a pseudo phone call style top-up (much like checking the IMEI number of an iphone) by dialing in 180vouchercode# followed by [SEND]. This generates a text menu that you navigate by “replying” with text/numerals.
I’ve no idea what that protocol is called but it too would be a handy service.

1 Like

Hello @MartinLangmaid,
Several MAX Routers already are useful in the M2M space, having SMS messaging & SMS control for these would be terrific to, we previously worked with several routers from other vendors that we have been usws in M2M applications and are watching Peplink closely as we’d like to for future projects be provisioning those systems using the Peplink models when suitable.

Here is a example M2M application, network connection is down (by design), it only comes up when it receives an SMS command to go online, and then is also remotely shut down (or turns of after a predetermined time). It may also send SMS messages received via events and bring itself online to connect to a server depending on other events. SMS messages may also be sent on a restart (say if the unit had lost power and then restored).

Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

Hello,

Is there any news regarding SMS gateway on Peplink MAX routers?

I have some questions regarding SMS toolkit.

Would it be possible to send SMS automatically if:
-ping or DNS lookup to specific IP address fails
-no client is connected (it means that client fails)
-no active session exists after timeout (no server-client communication)

If not possible, at least access to AT commands would be required.

Best regards,

Gregor

We have moved this tread over to the Feature Requests.
Happy to Help,

If the MAX did present such an API, we would use it mainly to retrieve SMS’s. The following API would suit our use-case:

In the following polling-based API, the MAX simply knows of set of SMS’s which have arrived to the SIM by a certain time , and have not yet been deleted. The timestamp format could be TAI64, as a reasonable default.

Request: GET /sms
Response: 301 /sms/<till-timestamp>
… tells an inquirer what the ‘latest timestamp’ is

Request: GET /sms/<till-timestamp>
Response: 200 text/xml
… gets the yet-undeleted messages up to that timestamp

Request: DELETE /sms/<till-timestamp>
Response: 200 (no body)
… deletes the messages up to that timestamp

This means that messages arriving to the SIM while the application is interacting with the gateway, are unaffected by the delete. The explicit delete by the consumer of the messages ensures that messages are never ‘lost’.

Additionally, it would be neat to specify some ‘webhooks’, where the MAX attempted to notify an application that messages were available. For example, given a configuration string of:

https://10.2.24.84/app/noticesms?when=$timestamp

the MAX would either give, as configured:

POST /app/noticesms?when=<till-timestamp>
… messages follow in the body
… IF the app responds with 200 - OK, then the MAX takes that as ‘safe to delete’

or

GET /app/noticesms?when=<till-timetamp>
… with no body

The MAX never re-attempts the hook (until more messages arrive), but would obviously log the attempt and its result.

These are just off the top of my head. I will report back if, having investigated SMS gateway API’s more, it starts to seem like a dumb idea.

If the MAX doesn’t provide this, my scenario would be solved by a separate Android device acting as an SMS gateway. However, that’s:
a) an extra device to power
b) that is somewhat unpredictable (since updates get pushed to it by the app stores)
c) an extra SIM to subscribe to, when we could simply have the number and the data on the same SIM inside the MAX

regards,
David.

1 Like

Please see this thread and comments as the forum threads overlap:

Happy to Help,