SD-Switch Client Count - Ignore Trunk Ports

I opened Ticket 9040617 and Tanny Pope suggested I make a feature request. Here is the meat of that ticket correspondence.

Me:
Replied at 25 Apr 2019 10:50

How does one make sense of the “Clients” column in IC2 for a switch?

All switches except “Switch_CR_2” are in a fiber ring with trunk links on fiber.

Switch_CR_2 has a trunk link into Port 1, and one VoIP phone in Port 2 that is live. How is the display of “113 clients” a valuable piece of information? That has to be clients observed on the trunk link right? Shouldn’t trunk links be ignored? Or can you tell me how I should be looking at this information?

The client counts listed by any of the switches don’t make sense as we don’t have that many clients on our network in total. But Switch_CR_2 is just such a glaring example, where there is only qty. 1 client in real life BEHIND that switch.

Thanks in advance.

Tanny:
Replied at 01 May 2019 15:57

I have reached out to our switch engineers because our switches on our network show the same thing.

Tanny:
Replied at 08 May 2019 11:31

This is the normal operation of the client list for switches. I would recommend submitting a feature request to our forum to add a filtering option to ignore all clients on a specific port. I am sure if you made the request, many others would speak up in favor of adding this, as I would also find this feature very useful for my own network at home.

2 Likes

+1 Seems like a good idea to me

1 Like