Routing WAN 1 to LAN 1 and WAN 2 to LAN 2

I think autocorrect may have got the best of you. Can you try the last sentence of the first paragraph again?

What kind of “managed switch” are you working with? Are there any other network devices involved? Kind of odd that a managed switch can’t do VLan tagging, right? I haven’t jumped into that portion of networking at my home yet, but I am looking at devices for home use that support 802.1q so I can start restricting some chatty devices from the primary client network.

Why can’t you apply a trunk to LAN port 2? Does the UI not allow you to do so? Or does doing so simply not work for you?

We are going to need details on what all wired devices you have and how they are currently connecting. Chances are you have all the pieces, but just need to come up with a plan to configure all of the gear so that it all matches and you don’t lock yourself out of any devices (it sucks having to factory reset because it is faster than configuring a static IP on a laptop and physically connecting to it)

Typically, you will have your smart, managed switch TAG the packets on the way into the switch. I believe it may be called Ingress on some gear. This should be done on a per port basis depending on which VLan you want the device on the other end to be on. One one of the ports on the switch, you will have your uplink port (some dedicate and mark the port, others treat it no differently). That port should be set as a trunk that performs no tagging/modification to the traffic.

If ALL of your traffic coming from that switch is for the same VLan, you can configure the LAN port on the Peplink to be an access port (which will tag the traffic on the way into the Peplink) for the desired VLan.

Look forward to getting some more details and hearing how it all works out.

1 Like