Router is losing connection

I have a Balance 20 router and it seems to be experiencing intermittent internet outages. Please see the attachment.

The person in the office said they restarted the router and the modem (cycle the power) only ONE time but as you can see it has gone offline 5 times today. What are the possible culprits?

I’m thinking it is a problem with the Internet Service Provider, but when my client called the ISP they said the problem was not on their end. Searching online and you will find a lot of posts about potential interference from Microwaves or cordless phones but that shouldn’t be the case here because I am viewing the log from the Balance 20 router itself which has no wireless radio built in.

You should check the Event Log and see what the errors are. Thanks.

The screenshot is from the event log section. When I view the log archive download I see this message next to the offline status entries:

WAN 1 disconnected (WAN failed DNS test)

Is that what you’re talking about?

There could be an auto-negotiation issue occurring so locking down the WAN port speed/duplex settings might be worth trying. If the issue persists please open a support ticket with us here so we can investigate the problem.

Is there a way for me to know which speed to select?

I am doing this remotely… Will my router lose connection if I choose the wrong setting?

The WAN failed DNS test error could also mean the target DNS server is flaky. I recommend to use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 instead for the DNS servers in the health check settings.

Okay I applied that to the health check section. Should I also change my DNS servers under DHCP Settings? They are currently set to automatic. In other words, how is configuring the health check going to keep the router connected to the Internet?

No need to change the DHCP settings. You may have been getting a false positive with the other DNS servers, keep an eye on it and let us know if its better now.

Where can I see the results of the health check? The router is still experiencing disconnects throughout the day and the log archive is still reporting this message “WAN 1 disconnected (WAN failed DNS test)”. Should we be looking at the speed/duplex settings again? If so, how do I know which setting to select?

I suggest open ticket for us to take closer look.