Requirement to power cycle the 4g modems

Hi there,

we recently purchased a MAx-on-the-go device with the idea of installing 4 USB dongles and load balancing over all 4,
however we have a requirement that the IP addresses need to change every 1 day on the USB devices. To do this the USB keys must be power cycled individually. We have successfully done this on the PC with a single device but we are looking to scale up this to multiple USB devices hence using the max on the go.

You can do this on the PC by using terminal and sending the “AT!reset” command to the modem, obviously you can not have more than 1 usb modem on 1 PC, hence this is where the max on the go comes in.
however on the Max on the go i can not seem to find anyway of doing this…?

I can suspend the USB modem, but this does not release the IP address or refresh it, the only way is powering off the device to refresh the GSM network.

so the question,

1- how can i reset the modem on the max on the go?
2 - is there a console view rather than a web view in which we can use programmatic.
3 - is there a way to send the terminal modem command to the max on the go?

anyone have any ideas?

Cheers
Steffen.

Hi Steffen,

1- how can i reset the modem on the max on the go?
You may drag the WAN ports into the Disabled box on Dashboard. Then you may drag back to Priority 1 or Priority 2 box. The WAN IP will be change.

2 - is there a console view rather than a web view in which we can use programmatic.
Max-On-The-Go only can accessible by Web Admin and SSH. We do recommend to use Web Admin.

3 - is there a way to send the terminal modem command to the max on the go?
No.

Hope this help.

Hi Steffen,

Additional info for your question 1. Max-On-The-Go can performs auto power cycle if meet the conditions below:-

• Connection failure from service provider.
    If connection lost, MOTG will re-initiate the PPP connection. If more than 5 minutes, MOTG will power cycle the modem automatically.

I do suggest to keep connect the modem to MOTG and wait for the “cut-off” from service provider then do testing. If the connection fail, please open support ticket via http://cs.peplink.com/contact/support and send us the diagnostic report.

Thank you.

1- Sadly this does disable to modem but does not reset the device, it merely stops the internet connection. The ISP assigned IP address is withheld as the device still has power, the IP address is only refreshed a new IP address issues if we pull the USB modem out of the device and plug it back in then we get a new IP address.

2- i found the ssh mode, but it only has GET commands, which is kind of useless when you want to program the removal of items from the load balance and add them back. Will have to use the web. thanks for the info anyways.

Basically we are looking at refreshing the USB ip address every 5-10 min to test internal tools. The requirement is a new public IP every 10 min, and the usb modems provide this on every power cycle, while we are testing. We are just looking at automating it.

Thanks for the information.

Ok now this is a interesting point, if we can force the connection to fail and the device to restart that would meet our needs. (we want to break the connection between the ISP and the device on purpose to get a new IP address)
I will look into this closer. thanks.

Ok now this is a interesting point, if we can force the connection to fail and the device to restart that would meet our needs. (we want to break the connection between the ISP and the device on purpose to get a new IP address)
I will look into this closer. thanks.

Hi Steffen,

Can elaborate more on your test scenario and testing component in order for us to have better understanding?

May I know the requirement of changing IP is daily or 10 minutes.

Thank you.

Sorry but due to several NDA’s i can not elaborate much more than i already have, the changing of the public IP is to create a new ip address of which we can then test our systems with, if it was the same ip the systems would detect this and our requirements would not be met. The tests will be ongoing over a large period of time hence can not be manually done.

If its not possible though your product we will just find another that does or have to design something ourselves which we already have a work around for, but its not as clean as something that would use existing load balance tech.
We are looking at expanding this to around 128 external Dongles to be load balanced. So rather large scale project. The Max on the Go is the largest device that has 4 usb dongle slots, Peplink currently have hence why we are using this. The device we currently have is only a POC once it meets the requirement the ramp will be quick.

Once again sorry i can not tell you more detail but our systems are currently covered by NDA’s while the POC is in play…

cheers,
Steffen.

Hi Steffen,

Sorry to inform that MOTG is not design in such way. You may post your features request here https://forum.peplink.com/forums/4-Feature-Requests for our future development.

Thank you.

For my understanding, the *changing of the public IP" method is in your testing environment, but according to our understanding of the worldwide carrier, they won’t just only change your IP. If carriers drop your IP, actually, they will drop whole connection (PPP connection). In this situation, some USB modem may not recover the connection automatically. With MOTG, we will automatically power reset the USB modem, so that the new IP will be obtained.

So, have you tried the MOTG with the USB modem in the real scenario? If my above description is not correct, the USB connection will become “WAN failed health check” and keep more than 5 minutes and forever. If you can get a diagnostic report on this state, it would be helpful for us to have better understanding of that situation.