Replacing MPLS subnet with VLan

Hello Peplinkers,

I have an issue where it is not feasible to change the current IP address of a number of devices (at least not at the moment) and am seeking to know if its possible to create a VLan on the Peplink router with the same networkaddress as the MPLS.
Currently the MPLS VLan is set a default VLan 1 with IP 10.50.1.0 and MPLS router IP is 10.50.1.1. I would like to integrate a second second line (Cable) into the 10Meg MPLS line without changing any on the internal IP’s of the devices.

Any advise/recommendation?

Yes with drop in mode.

2 Likes

But if I do that, then I’ll not be able to create the vlan right? Instead I’ll have to use the Untagged LAN correct?

Hi @SPeedY,

I wonder if Virtual Network Mapping would help, you can map virtual network addresses to multiple VLANS at the same site. Here is a link to a video I created, which explains the feature a little better > Virtual Network Mapping <

It is a little rough, but should give an overview of the feature (available from Firmware 7.1.0).

Thanks,

Steve

3 Likes

Draw two diagrams. one showing ip addressing & devices as they are now and anther showing what you’re trying to achieve. Then we can make sense of it. Whats the end goal? Are you a MSP that wants to host something LAN side for them to access (with additional WAN connectivity)?

2 Likes

Hey @MartinLangmaid,

This is our current network diagram, plus we are adding two new offices, but are not part of the MPLS network. Also am seeking to later on remove the MPLS and go with Fiber + cable.

MPLS%20Net

Now what I want to achieve is all summarize in one of your old post → MPLS Augmentation for a Multi Branch Retail or Banking Company

All applications are hosted in the main HQ location and are for internal use only within the MPLS. There are no external facing servers or applications.

Devices: 2 Balance 380 and 4 Balance 210. 380 will be deploy in HQ branch with 320 staff’s and DR branch with 70 staffs, 210 in all other and future branches most contain less than 50 staffs.

Available connections: MPLS 20 Meg in one site and 10Megs in three sites. Cable line will be deploy in all locations 300Meg down, 50Med up.
End goal: Increase bandwidth, integrate resiliency (currently only one line per location), eventually replace MPLS with mixed internet lines.

OK understood, and all your servers at head office are in the 10.50.1.0/24 subnet too are they?
What about the remote site addressing - are they all DHCP clients or do you have lots of statically assigned IPs there (for printers for example)?

By far the cleanest (but not the easiest) way to do this is to re subnet everything. So treat the existing MPLS network as a WAN add additional connectivity as required and then assign new ranges everywhere eg:
Head office LAN 10.51.1.0/24
Site A: 10.51.2.0/24
Site B: 10.51.3.0/24
Site C: 10.51.3.0/24 etc

The alternative method is to use Drop in mode, where the Peplinks sit LAN side of your existing routers at each site and is in a bridge mode. So LAN and WAN1 of each peplink are bridged - devices on the LAN continue to use the same existing IP as their gateway (eg 10.50.x.1) which passes through the Peplink transparently.

The Peplinks can then build SF tunnels between the remote sites and head office using whatever connectivity is available on their WANs and you have augmented the VPN connectivity without making subnet changes.

2 Likes

Yes, all server are in the 10.50.1.0/24 subnet.
The remote sites most of them are in DHCP so those with static IP we can manually change.

Based on your suggestions I will do a combination of both: Initially at the Head Office I will set the MPLS line to Drop-In Mode, leaving all servers, Cameras and Printers in the vlan 10.50.1.0/24. Then create a new vlan and start moving only the desktops to this new vlan. Then since I’ll have more time, I can slowly start transferring the remaining devices to a new vlan.

This time am planning to allocate each device type in their own subnet (Ex. Servers 10.51.1.0/24, Desktops 10.52.1.0/23, Printers and Cameras 10.54.1.0/24, etc).

Thank you @MartinLangmaid I will post an update later tonight on how it goes :smile:

1 Like