Replacement for "Old Reliable" Balance 50

Hello… been a while!

Back again for another possible upgrade discussion.

The 20x has been a great performer with Starlink. Throughput has not been a problem, performance is excellent. However…

I’ve recently moved to an area with Quantum gig fiber. As of now, the 20x is still holding its’ own. But I’m considering a second Quantum link and wondering if the 20x is still the proper device. Is a 2.5 gig throughput 310x with Speedfusion the way to go in this case, or is that overkill?

Thanks again!

So is that 2.5gbps per ethernet port. and you want to get two services?

What I meant was two bonded Quantum gig WAN links. The 20x has 900mb throughput… wondering if that is sufficient

It really depends on the outcome you are wanting from the 2 lines. For failover capability the 20x should be fine and it will load balance both the connections and keep things running. If you are wanting to have alll the device on the network have access to the total combined bandwidth then the 310x would be a great choice as it should be able to load balance across both the lines.

You did however mention bonding and the speedfusion feature. This is designed to give you the speed of 2 connections over a single session but that is at the cost of CPU performance on the box (and another peplink device to connect to which has access to 4gbps of bandwidth). For 2gbps of speedfusion bonded traffic you would need something like a balance 2500 + a fusionhub for the remote end. The cost might be a little off putting though.

1 Like

The end result I was thinking of was having all the devices be able to use the full bandwidth (like a bonded DSL type of setup). It’s my home network, so there’s no remote end device to connect to for this; just the typical consumer ISP line(s) run to the house. I’m obviously not clear about which product or service I am in need of, if any. I assumed I needed Speedfusion for this. It may be as ‘simple’ you mentioned; the 310x load balancing at my end and nothing more. Having the 20x load balancing two gig circuits won’t net me any gain due to the throughput, if I’m understanding correctly…

I have had a balance 30 for a number of years and with fiber to be installed any day now I’ve upgraded to a 380x to future proof myself.
It will allow me to connect the Fiber, starlink(future), direct line of site wireless, and hd2 dome via usb.
I also installed a Cat12 modem it it’s module bay.
We are a peplink partner and I can order you a 380x or 310, whatever you’re looking at.
Then I can bond it to either speed fusion cloud, or a private fusionhub, I can help you set that up.

yeah, I would suggest the 310x and go with load balancing. It will allow single downloads up to a maximum of 1gbps but would allow multiple downloads to consume the whole bandwidth. Its worth noting here that the LAN ports are 1gbps each so you would need to make sure that you are using more than one of them to utilise the full bandwidth. LACP to another switch or plugging in multiple devices to the peplink would be needed.

Bonding in this case would be cost prohibitive as nothing but the balance 2500/epx ($10k+) would allow the bonding of all that bandwidth and then you would need another peplink device or fusionhub in a colo/hosting provider with enough spec and 4Gbps of throughput to allow you to enjoy it. You would need to also look at either 10gbps SFP+ on the LAN or at least LACP on 2 of the 1gb ports to even use that much bandwidth. Then you need to ask whether you home devices are capable of shifting data at that speed (download from steam would chew heavily on your CPU at that rate).