Remote access without Cellular static IP?

Hi Martin, still waiting for the boat to call back (in transit right now) and i will give them my newly created DDNS. I have tried to follow your instructions:
as in 4 above, I used port forwarding rules to route UDP Any–>4500 and TCP Any–>32015 and made that same as incoming traffic into the Pep AP One Mini.

But in #6 above, I’m not sure how to set the static so that when someone tries to connect to something in the 192.168.50.x range that it goes thru the PepAP at 192.168.1.254?

Should I go to settings and change the 192.1.68.1.1 to 192.168.50.0 or .1? I’m just a bit lost on this part.
on the VPN, I upgraded my wife’s imacG5 to run high sierra (Mac OS X) and can run the VPN server (L2TP?) in.

Then when the boat calls, all i need them to do is enable PepVPN and put in my DDNS name and serial number of the Pep AP One Mini and we should be ok?
thanks,

Larry

Page # 75/76 in the manual here for your G110 router shows how to add a static route to it.
It would look like this:

Thats the idea yes! Fingers crossed it all comes magically right :wink:

1 Like

Hi Martin, I thought I had done most everything right so its either a minor issue or I’ve got it completely bolluxed up. I’ve set up the DDNS and used that as the remote hostname. I set up the port forwarding and the routing, and set up the local and Remote ID’s including serial number. One weird thing is that while setting up the AP it said that it could not be set up with PepVPN if it was in bridging mode. so even though its behind my G1100 router, I set it to router with IP forwarding. But something is not working. I have taken screen shots of all but would prefer not to post them on the internet… any chance you might accept a dropbox link or a few pictures? I expect I just did something that can be easily fixed. Thanks! Larry

Sure. You can PM me a Dropbox link or just dump the photos in the PM too.

The AP has to be in router mode (so it has a WAN and LAN). The LAN can be anything you like, so long as its not the same as the remote BR1 or the local home network subnet.

1 Like

I just added the LAN settings of the AP to the dropbox as well.

Hi Martin, Thanks so much for all your help. It was fantastic to have such a knowledgeable resource as you helping me. I don’t know that I would have ever gotten there otherwise!! I can now work on the boat electronics from 2000 miles away and even navigate in real time from my bedroom! it works perfectly. Thanks again for all your help. Definitely recommend you to anyone! Best Regards, Larry

1 Like

Thanks Larry, glad we could get you connected to your boat from home - that visibility of its location, with live heading / compass bearing and wind speed data is very cool!

2 Likes