Question about using these products for Static IP

Hi everyone,

Our local ISP that does cable can only offer Static IP on the 150/20 plans, nothing higher even though I can get 1000/50 here. The Static IP is really for a few home users to remotely access the PBX, and also for some file servers. Would this be a correct use case for me:

• Order 1000/50 cable for our office with dynamic IP
  • Get a Balance device for the prem
  • Deploy FusionHub on AWS or the ISPs cloud
  • Use the FusionHub’s IP as our Static IP
  • Create a VPN between the prem and FusionHub, route all internet traffic over the Internet

Is that correct in that it would keep all 1000Mbps as normal Internet traffic, but remote users could connect to servers or the PBX via the FusionHub IP?

Then if that’s correct, does that mean I could further:

• Add another cable or LTE connection on the prem
  • Use SpeedFusion to connect it as well back to FusionHub
  • Set an Outbound Policy for the PBX to use the VPN, with all internet traffic using the Internet

That way I can also do seamless VoIP if the cable gets cut the LTE takes over without dropping the call?

Just want to make sure I’m understanding this all correctly, mainly in that only VPN traffic goes over the VPN even if I have hot failover set up, but that Internet traffic stays on the internet? Thanks!

Hello liammonroe,

If I understand your proposed setup correctly, it should be sound. When each user is at home, they would require a Balance/Max device to connect to the FusionHub as well, I just want to make sure this is understood. You can route the phones to FusionHub to keep the static IP using OutBound Policies, as well as when users need to access files from the file server.

You could add another cable or LTE connection for failover or for bonding over SpeedFusion to your FusionHub instance. And you can use Outbound Policy for routing your traffic over the VPN or having it sent out directly to the internet.

1 Like

If I understand, the only purpose of the static IP or FusionHub, is so your remote users can access the PBX. You can do that without a static IP with a dynamic DNS provider such as DynDNS.org. Peplink makes implementing such systems easy. Although I have static external IP’s at work, I have a Peplink One router at home, on dynamic IP. I can connect to it easily using DynDNS. You create an account with Dyn (or other similar) and set up that account in your Peplink Balance. Dyn and the Balance maintain a connection. The external user simply uses the domain name you chose at Dyn, and the connection back to your Balance is made.

Not sure you’ve said why you need FusionHub or AWS. Are you using AWS for server or storage?

If you really want a static IP for inbound remote access, you can get both the 1000/50 and 150/20. The remote users are initiating an inbound connection, not outbound, so there won’t be outbound rules needed. That said in my experience Asterisk (if you are using that) doesn’t do well with its external IP changing, so you should set a priority rule that all outbound from the PBX goes through the static IP WAN.

Again assuming you’re doing SIP for the PBX, I suggest you experiment with running that over LTE. In my experience the call quality won’t be consistent.

Hi Liam,
What you outlined in your original post is almost exactly how we deliver seamless highly resilient VoIP to our customers.

Using a Fusionhub in the cloud would provide you with a static IP that you can present to the outside world as your IP PBX’s external IP, then you can route all external VoIP traffic from/to your PBX at your premises over SpeedFusion bonding to give your VoiP packets resilience when you have multiple internet connections at your premises.

Depending on your PBX, the only other recommendation I would have is to put a firewall appliance alongside your PBX in the cloud to mitigate SIP hacking attempts.

Good luck!

M

1 Like

Thanks everyone, to clarify the PBX was just one example, but it could be any reason someone needs Static IP. I was just trying to determine if we could use this to meet our needs, such as a 1000/50 cable connection that does not support Static IP, but connect that through FusionHub on AWS or elsewhere, and then use that as the public facing IP. Then if we want to add a cable or LTE or other connection we can do that to provide the unbreakable VoIP, but it could be servers, email servers, FTP, anything really. Just was trying to figure out if this could work as an option to add static IP to a service that doesn’t support one which it sounds like it does. Thanks!